Search

Germany in June

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1998, 04:35 PM
Kay

Germany in June

Our family will be in Bitburg, Germany near Trier. Any suggestions of thing to highlight or tours to take in that area? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 07:59 AM
Lee

Kay: I don't know how much time will be available to you, but I would strongly suggest that you drive the Mosel and Rhine rivers. Drive the Mosel from around Trier, eastward to Koblenz and cross the bridge to the "Weisbaden side". Drive down to Rudesheim, stopping at the Lorelei and some of the small towns along the river. You can cross the river again by ferry (just drive right on!) and head up the other side back toward Koblenz. There are castles all along the way and a ruin at St. Goars called "Rheinfels" which is really old. You will have a nice trip, I'm sure. Good luck!

Old Mar 7th, 1998, 10:59 AM
Kay

Thanks, Lee. First time there so we need all the help we can get.

Old Mar 7th, 1998, 12:42 PM
Linda

Ann, we stayed in Trier several years ago, and enjoyed staying at the Hotel Petrisburg very much. Two brothers own it; they are so hospitable, and the hotel sits on the side of the hill, overlooking Trier. You can walk down the long hill, past the famed ruins of a Roman ampitheater(dated 100 a.d.) down into town. In Trier,we especially enjoyed our visits to the Dom, the Porta Nigra, and riding the cable car over the Mosel up to the mountain, where we sat at a little restaurant and had a lovely view of Trier and the Mosel River valley. We took the train from Koblenz into Trier, and the scenery was spectacular! Enjoy your visit!

Old Mar 7th, 1998, 05:06 PM
Lynda

Kay,
There are so many beautiful places to see within easy driving distance from Trier. Drive up the Mosel to towns like Zell and Cochem. They are beautiful. The first time I went to Germany, we spent our very first night on the Mosel in Cochem. It was great. There are so many lovely sleepy little villages with beautiful churches. I hope you enjoy your trip. Germany captured our hearts!