Search

Germany: Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:35 PM
David

Germany: Ideas

I'm traveling alone in Germany later this month. I will be spending 2-3 days in the Mosel region (enough? too much?), but I have 2 days left over. I'm flying in and out of Frankfurt. Any ideas for where to go for the 2 days?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:39 PM
ellen

Hope you saw my previous response to your question below: Definitely the Rhine Valley.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Another vote for the Rhine Valley.<BR><BR>There are at least a dozen medieval castles between Rudesheim and Koblenz. Some have been restored, but some are essentially in their original condition. The Marksburg, near Koblenz, is one of the authentic castles that can be visited.<BR><BR>If you have a car, drive up one side of the river and back down the other. There are many classic Rhine wine villages along the way, along with larger historic towns like Boppard and Rudesheim.<BR><BR>Another possibility would be to visit Heidelberg. HD is about 45 minutes south of Frankfurt.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:04 PM
natasha

David,<BR><BR>I haven't been on the Mosel river, but I spent 3 nights on the Rhine river. I loved it. There are many quaint little towns and beautiful scenery, and lots of castles. I took the KD boats up and down the river. They were included in my train pass.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Shain

Hi David,<BR>the mosel/rhine valley is very nice, but weather will be wet, cold and maybe stromy by the end of this month (in general)<BR>Maybe enjoy riding to Mainz and Heidelberg would top your trip.<BR>Hbg. just lies 45 to 60min south of the FRA airport and is about 90/120min from Koblenz/Mosel/rhine valley.<BR><BR>Check out for boat trips with kd at<BR>http://www.k-d.com (timetable/prices)<BR>If you have 4-day rail europe pass those trips may be included - check <BR>http://www.db.de<BR><BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Ann

David, I have to dissent from the posters who say to stay in the Rhine valley. I am one of those who love the Mosel; yes, it will probably be wet (it's raining here at the moment), but so will the Rhine, they're not very far apart, you know! The Rhine is great for viewing from the train, car, or boat, but once you've cruised up or down the river and seen all the spectacular castles on its hills, then go over to the Mosel for more beautiful scenery, a quieter pace and history. Stop in Trier for the Roman monuments/museum, stay in a wine village near Bernkastel or Cochem, and sample the extraordinary wines from the slate-littered soil (which reflects the sun and makes the wine sweeter). I think you'll decide 2-3 days is not enough. Post back if you want some ideas; I'm currently in Germany, not at my home email. Cheers..