Germany First Timer

Search

Germany First Timer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany First Timer

We are planning to visit Germany in '06. Looking at Travel Bound since it is a more of an on your own type trip. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with Travel Bound? Thanks
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM

As a frequent traveler to Germany, the best advice is to plan your journey but not too tightly, and don't make the big mistake of trying to cram too much into your trip. Always leave something to go back to.

I strongly suggest you go to http://bensbauernhof.com/. this is without a doubt the best source of travel info on Germany on the net. It is run by a postman from Texas dedicated to helping folks travel to and enjoy their trips to Germany. MANY folks swear by it, as do I, and for good reasons. They share their experiences. Check out some of the resources available on the site and review some of the trip reports.

Use travel boards to get experiences of others. Your taste may be different (do you like museums, cultural events, nice hotels, small bed and breakfast type places, rigid schedule or loose -- that type of thing). Adjust for what suits you. I would suggest the Bavaria area and/or Black Forest - all Southern Germany.

Have fun.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Never heard of Travel Bound. I concur with smithita's positive words about bensbauernhof - an info treasure trove. It focuses mostly on southern Germany, highlighting the rural travel experience and the kinds of lodging more typically patronized by vacationing Germans and Europeans than by international tourists. You'll get more value and more culture by using Ben's site than some commercial site.

If your trip will include larger cities, or smaller towns and villages in northern Germany (many of which are delightful, "undiscovered" places) you'd be wise to use plenty of other resources to plan your trip as well.

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:24 AM

I too will be a first timer to Germany in June '06 and travel by train. Ill enter from Austria and hope to head to Munich and then out to Prague or Vienna. Suggestions?

But I am mainly wondering what top few things you would suggest to make a point to see or places to stop. I am on a college student budget, so keep that in mind!

Thank You!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:30 AM

>typically patronized by vacationing Germans and Europeans
The site looks nice!, but I doubt a vacationing German would follow his advice, I wouldn't!!!. The main thing is to keep the flow of foreign tourists canalized and away from the best places. (It least in summer!)
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Read up (see destinations above) on Munich, Rothenburg, and the Bavarian alps (Ludwig's castles). That should give you a starting point for your travels. It is good to do it with a map in hand to get a sense of distances and routes that make sense.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM

If you're looking for the most interesting places, take your map, take a look a "romantic road", avoid it like hell and drive from north to south 150 km east of it. A lot better, a lot nicer, a lot less expensive and REAL ;-). (Altmühltal etc..) It actually IS that easy to see the best places in Bavaria. . Oops...
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Just got back from Germany. I planned my itinerary, and it went well. Look at www.tripadvisor.com for hotel recommendations, and the trains and buses are great. Munich and Ludwig's castles need about 3 full days to see.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Surprisingly I have had quite a few Germans actually ask my opinions and take my recommendations (especially for farm stays). I'm just a frequent tourist/traveler like many of the posters here but I certainly wouldn't try to keep anyone away from the 'best' places. I've traveled Bavaria fairly extensively and I've found that some of the 'best' places are touristy and for good reason. If I could find a village with the history and storybook feel of Rothenburg o.d.T. - I would tell everyone I know. Spend a couple of nights and early mornings there. Just go somewhere else during the daytime. Travel secrets are for sharing. The Altmühltal is wonderful but first timers (for the most part) to Germany are more interested in the basic highlights (which include many of the best touristy places).

This travel board is the best thing going for first timers (multi-timers also). Tell this board when you are going and for how long and your mode of transport and as much as you know about what you want to see and you will get some great advice.

The original poster -tvlbound- may have no interest in planning his/her own independent trip. Travel Bound looks to be more of a travel company that offers package deals. Usually the easy way to plan a trip but definitely more expensive. If you -tvlbound- have the time and interest to plan your own trip, i.e. air and ground transport, itinerary, accommodations, etc - this board is a wealth of information... Ben (www.bensbauernhof.com)
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Ben, I found Bad Wimpfen to be a pretty good alternative to Rothenburg. There are fewer shops and definitely fewer tourists but it certainly has the history (the Imperial Palace and fortifications).

I have also enjoyed my three visits to Rothenburg but agree that you must stay overnight to really experience the best the town has to offer.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM

I agree that places like Rothenburg or Oerammergau and be "over touristed". I guess you can get swept along by too many white sneaker and Hawaiian shirts but,
I loved a recent post that described Rothenburg as "just too cute to miss no matter how many tourists there are". And Ben, you're right, We are those tourists and here we are telling more people to go there.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:52 PM

As I said, Ben, your ite is nice. Yes, I too have traveled my home and native country quite extensivly. What seems to be the "problem" is that tourists focus only on a few places like Rothenburg and Neuschwanstein. Rothenburg is only special because of the intact city wall. A place like Beilngries as nice, inexpensive and not overcrowded by tourists, would give a much better and genuine impression of a real old town and everyday life, which would what I was looking for at a foreign country. Yet all those gems aren't mentioned. Maybe it's better that way to protect our country and landscape. Mass tourism destroys towns and people.