Germany & Austria Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Germany & Austria with a side trip to Cesky Krumlov in early September. Does this itinerary sound reasonable. Too much time, not enough time in each place?

We are locked in to our dates, have 17 nights available. We fly in and out of London Heathrow and then plan to fly from LHR to Munich on day 2 and out of Vienna back to LHR on day 19; then back to US on day 20.

3 nights Munich (side trip to Dachau)
1 night Fussen (see castles in AM next day)
3 nights Mittenwald (side trips Oberammergau, Garmisch, Zugsptize, Linderhof Palace, Ettal, Wieskirche)
3 nights Salzburg (side trip to Berchtesgaden)
2 nights Hallstatt (side trips to Bad Ischl, Gosau am Dachstein, Bad Aussee)
2 nights Cesky Krumlov
3 nights Vienna (stop at Durnstein on way to Vienna from CK)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Are you going by car or train? I assume by car but if by train I'd respond with info on that.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ: Our plan is to pick up car when we leave Munich and drop off when we get to Vienna.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Are you accounting for the time you will spend checking out of your hotel, traveling to your new destination, and checking in to your new hotel.

Also, I think you'll jamming too much into your days, unless you're people who want to be on the go constantly.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Pegontheroad: I've calculated the distances between stops. Other than Hallstatt to CK and CK to Vienna, they don't seem too bad. We do like to be on the go but also like periods of downtime. We figured Hallstatt and CK would give us time to slow down. The side trips are options that we like to have in our hip pocket. What would you change? Would you cut out Vienna? I've been wanting to see CK as it sounds like a cute town, similar to Rothenburg (which we visited this past year and loved) but that is an option to eliminate.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM

While the cross border rental car drop-off between MUC to VIE is not bad and is probably something like 150EU, the more problematic aspect of this itinerary is bringing a car rented in Germany into the Czech Republic, which is not always allowed. Check to make sure the rental you have in mind allows such trip before going too far with your itinerary.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Greg,

Thanks for the tip on driving car into CR. I hadn't checked into that.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM

I agree that there are a couple of longish drives - Hallstatt to CK is about 3 hours as is CK to Vienna.

The restrictions on taking cars in the CR is generally related to the value of the vehicle; no Mercedes or BMW's for example. I think they are relaxing it more and more as the former Eastern Europe progresses economically and expensive cars are no longer a rarity to be exploited.

Definitely check for the field on any online form where is asks if your will be taking the car into CR, Poland, etc.. and make sure you reply affirmatively. If you don't encounter that question making an online reservation, or if you make one by phone or email, ensure that the rental company confirms in writing that they approve the country in question as allowable. Bring that written confirmation with you when you pick up the car. A rental agent can say one thing 5 months before you travel but that may not be the local office's understanding.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM

The Czech restriction is not uniform. You much check specific company-car combinations.

<b>Autoeurope</b>
<i>Restricted Countries
...Due to insurance regulations, there are restrictions on luxury car categories and on travel in certain countries. Auto Europe has special rental programs for driving into Eastern Europe. Please take a minute to ensure that your intended itinerary will be possible with the car you plan to rent.</i>
http://www.autoeurope.com/go/driving...ation/germany/

<b>Sixt</b>
<i>Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries but not with Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, <b>VW</b>, Porsche, Jaguar and all Jeeps/Offroader:
... Czech Republic...

In case of offence against Cross Border & Territorial Restrictions <b>all insurances lose their validity</b>.</i>
http://www.sixt.com/rental-services/rental-information/
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 10:39 PM

Sounds like a great trip and I am available for a three week adoption if you have the room. Just a couple of comments:

Easy metro and bus ride from central Munich to Dachau and you will have time to see other sights in Munich for that day.

Oberammergau, Garmisch, Zugsptize can be done in a day. If you have spare time and have never been to Neuschwanstein ..GO!!!

Melk Abbey (Austria) was really impressive if you can squeeze it in.

Make sure to by road tax vignettes (available at the first gas station) when you enter Austria and the Czech Republic. Better to spend 10 Euro than risk a large fine and embarrassment.

I love driving in Europe, especially Austria and Germany. I would drive from Vienna back to Munich (and hit Melk Abbey along the way). It's about a 5 hour drive and a very pleasant one at that. Might save you about 100 Euro if that's a consideration.

Good luck and have a great time.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all with your insights. We have re-worked the itinerary and decided to skip CK this trip.

Would appreciate your critique of this option: Our plan is pick up the car when we leave Munich and drop it off when we get to Vienna.

Day 2-4 Munich
Day 5 Pick up car and drive to Fussen (stop at Wieskirche)
Day 6 N&H castles in am; drive to Linderhof Palace on way
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Day 7-9 Mittenwald (day trips to Oberammergau & Ettal Monastery, Garmisch, Zugspitze, Innsbruck & Hall)
Day 10-12 Salzburg (day trip to Berchtesgaden)
Day 13 Drive to Bad Ischl and overnight in Hallstatt
Day 14 Hallstatt to Melk (see Abbey) and then overnight in
Durnstein
Day 15 Drive to Vienna and drop car.
Day 16-18 Vienna
Day 19 Fly from Vienna to LHR
Day 20 LHR to US

Question: Should we stay in Melk or Durnstein?
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Durnstein to me is in a much lovelier setting than Melk, where from town you have few views of the Danube and even a Danube not at its most romantic as it is as Durnstein, lovingly set in the Wachau Valley with vineyards around it and a sweeping view of the valley.

Melk to me is a nicer town itself but Durnstein for the views to kill for!
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ: Thanks for your vote. I was leaning towards Durnstein.

What do think of the rest of the itinerary? I originally had us staying 2 nights in Hallstatt, but cut back to 1 night and added to Vienna.