Germany advice

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany advice

My wife and I will be traveling to Munich 3/14 and out of Frankfort 3/18. We would like to see Neuschwanstein and Salzburg for sure. I've heard about a "romantic road", but I don't know anything about it.

Please give me advice on afordable rental cars, other attractions, hotels, etc... We are trying to keep this trip somewhat budget, so any advice that you can give would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Hi!

We are also getting ready to leave (Feb 26) for Germany, Vienna, and Czech Rep. I booked our car rental with Auto Europe which had a bit better price than Hertz. It cost a bit more since we are going to take the car to CZ. One tip I have - is to rent a small car. We were planning on renting a van b/c we are taking our children and we are use to a van here in the states. But my uncle, who has been several times said the streets are narrow and a large car could be cumbersome. Have a Great time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
tmh

Have you looked at a map? All that in 4 days? You'll be in the car the entire time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM

4 day trip fr Munich to Frankfurt, is a bit tight to do too many stopovers. Salzburg is 45mins by train fr Munich. Romantic Road streches from Munich to Frankfurt. If u start fr Munich & u want to inc Fuessen (for the neuschawanstein castles), may b MUC-Fuessen-Rothenburg-Wurzburg-FRA. We dropped Salzburg last time (no enough days) and did the romantic road trip & we luved it! u can check out www.romanticroad.com. u ve to decide where u want to cover as 4 days, IMO, are not enough. For budget stays, u can check out advices from tripadvisors & booking.com. Try b&b & local guesthouses and they are all lovely & centralised located. e.g. for Rothenburg, u can check out local govt office website for ideas on lodging http://www.rothenburg.de
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM

You may look into my GoList on the Romantic Road:
http://tinyurl.com/yp4p7a
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Some of our favorites on and near the Romantic Road, in no particular order:

1. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles in the village of Hohenschwangau near Fuessen.

2. The Wieskirche.

3. Linderhof Palace

4. The towns of Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen.

5. The Burg Colmberg castle hotel near Rothenburg o.d. Tauber. (Rooms from around 70-75 euros on up to the upper 100s range).

6. Alpenhotel Meier restaurant on the road between Hohenschwangau and Schwangau.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:34 AM
ira

Hi B,

See www.romanticroad.com/

With only 4 nights you could see Munich and Salzburg
or
Munich and Fuessen
or
Munich and the RR,
but
I don't think that you can do it all.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Would 1 day in Munich, 1 day is Salzburg, and 2 days to explore the romantic road be doable? Should I actually drive on the "romantic road" or should I take an autobahn? Can anyone recommend an inexpensive car rental company?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:36 AM

In Munich,I stayed in the Hotel Antares recently, and found it terrific value. Ample tasty breakfast, wonderful location 5 minutes from the museums, all for about 40 Euros.
I have eaten many a meal in many countries, and perhaps the best meal for the money I have ever had was the six courses at La Bouille, a ten minutewalk from the Antares. 40 euros for the extraordinarily tasty menu, said to be Provencale but I thought French with a strong German accent. Cheap delicious wine by the .2 litre class, over 1/4 a bottle pour, only 4.4 Euros. Pleasant, warm, efficient service, speaking quite enough English if you don't speak German.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I was in Munich for five days and did not finish what I wanted to see. If you like museums at all, then Munich is terrific. Think of it as having the best museums of any #2 city in the world.

In short, a day is much too short if you like museums.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM

All good advice above. When we drove the Romantic Road we had plans, chucked most of them out the window and just enjoyed the trip.
For car rentals try autoeurope.com
they often have the best prices, if you are dropping it off in a different location, check for drop off fees.
Budget.com doesn't charge the drop off fee but generally runs a little more than autoeurope.
Have a splendid trip. Catch the Nightwatchmen's tour in Rothenburg.