Search

Germany!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany!

Hello
We are planning a trip to Germany in the beginning of April. Would like to spend 3 days 1st in Paris and then fly out of Berlin 10 days later probably.

I am trying to figure out where to travel in Germany and which is more feasible train and/or car. Must on our list is Dresden, Munich and Berlin.

But for example, would it be better to travel by train from Paris to Cologne?

I could change our flights and fly out of Frankfurt, if that would be more feasible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and we are most interested in modern art in Germany.

Happy New Year!!!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM

Dear Ayty,
Germany is underrated as a holiday destination, in my opinion, but I'm prejudiced as I've lived here for 20 years. So good choice!
Is your heart set on keeping Paris in the itinerary? It will add some travel time between your key locations but you also mentioned your interest in modern art - perhaps that's your motivation.
Anyway, here are some thoughts:
Munich, Dresden and Berlin are all excellent choices. Munich has a new modern art museum (Pinakothek der Moderne) and Berlin has several great collections too. Frankfurt's Museum of Modern Art is as interesting for the purpose-built building as the collection and exhibitions. But maybe you know all this...
Your timing includes the Easter holiday weekend in Germany. Good Friday (14 April) and Easter Monday (17 April) are major holidays in Germany. This means things are likely to be closed or booked out, including hotels, rental cars and especially TRAINS. I highly recommend traveling by train in Germany, so if you want to do it in the week before and after Easter, please RESERVE SEATS. It's a small fee that's worth it. As for hotels and museums, just keep the holiday in mind as you plan.
By coincidence I'm traveling from Frankfurt to Paris and back by train this weekend. I'm treating myself to first class and fast trains in honor of my birthday. The journey is 5 and a half hours and is costing about 350 Euros - second class is much more reasonable, but like I said, I'm celebrating. Paris - Cologne is 4.5 hours.
German Rail offers "super saver" prices if you book your ticket 3, 7, or 14 days in advance - the catch is that the ticket is valid for that train only. Have a look at the Deutsche Bahn (Germany Rail) website -www.bahn.de There's an option for English language.

As for Frankfurt, it's a great airport but the city is not so exciting. I would fly Paris-Munich or Paris -Berlin and travel by train from that city via Dresden to the other city.
Does this help? I have to sign off for a while now - let me know if you have more questions.
Christine
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
DAX

Paris-Cologne is a good fast route to enter Germany if you're planning to take the Thalys train. Cologne/Dusseldorf is great for a younger crowd (or young at heart).

From Cologne you can train south along the Rhein and consider Heidelberg, Rothenburg on your way to Munich. Nurnberg makes a nice stop on your way up to Dresden/Berlin.

The other route is to train north to stop in Bremen, Hamburg, Berlin & Dresden.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM

I was in Munich, Berlin, and Dresden during the Thanksgiving week for 8 days. You can probably land in Frankurt and out of Berlin. Can you do an open jaw, or do you absolutely need to fly in and out of Frankurt? Munich is about 6 hrs South of Berlin, by car (although my friend drove us there in about 4.5hrs on the autobahn). We chose the car route because we wanted to drive to Schwangau where Neuschweinstein (sp?) is, and it would have been easier with car to enjoy the Romantic Road etc. I would imagine that it would be a lot longer by train. So if you can fly out of Berlin, I'd say drop off your rental car in Berlin, and then rely on public transportation to get you around in Berlin, and then take the train to Dresden. How many days do you have in Germany?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM

I would try to get a flight from Paris to Munich, then train to Dresden and train to Berlin.

Car doesn't make sense since you will spend your time in cities - parking and traffic are a hassle, and public transportation is excellent.

I am no expert on either Munich or Berlin, but I live in Dresden and will provide any information you ask for regarding my hometown. What exactly is "modern" art for you? Last 100 years? Works of living artists?

I.