Search

Germany-10 days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany-10 days

Hello-

My husband and I looking to travel to Germany in early September. We would likely have 10-11 days for a trip and would likely fly into Frankfurt. We tend to be active travelers and would like to see a lot without becoming exhausted. My husband has expressed interest in Munich, Berlin, and some time to relax in scenic location. We like history and scenic natural places more than art museums etc. He also would like to see a concentration camp if at all possible while we are there. We know many of the concentration camps are outside of Germany, but would be willing to do a day trip from one of our locations. I realize this may be more than we can do in such a short time. I am curious if you had 10-11 days with our above interests where would you spend your time and how many days at each location? We would likely use train to get from one location to the next, but can be flexible
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM

A couple years ago, my husband and I had 12 days in Germany - we flew in and out of Munich since that was one of the places on our itinerary. We spent about 5 days of our trip there and loved it. The concentration camp Dachau is very close to Munich - I think about a half hour from the city center by train. Being that you are coming in September, check Oktoberfest dates - hotels book up solid for that, so depending on the timing, you may want to skip Munich this time and focus more on the north.

For scenic beauty, if you do go to Munich, the Bavarian Alps are only a couple hours south - lots of options for places to relax for a few days.

Near Frankfurt is the Mosel River valley - wine, castles, roman ruins. That might be a nice place to relax for a couple days.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM

for that type of wide-ranging rail travel be sure to consider the German Twin Railpass, which provides competely flexible travel - hop on any of the zillions of trains blasting between all key cities - like the ICE trains that go up to 190 mph on some routes. Such fully flexible fares are typically very expensive and a few trips like you envision will make it pay off quickly. And the more days you buy on the pass the cheaper they get - extra days after the base of 3 are about $20/day in 2nd class or about only 15 euros p.p.

Passes are also valid on the K-D boats thru the famed Rhine Gorge (www.k-d.com)

Some great sources on German train travel: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html.

And compare prices at www.bahn.de - the official German rail system web site which has schedules and fares. If you are only taking a few long train trips then look for the SPAR special online only fares that can be as cheap as 29-39 euros p.p. regardless of length of journey - but then you are pegged far in advance to a certain train and lose flexibility to hop any train anytime. You can book your tickets on bahn.de if a pass is not for you - easy to do.

Salzburg, Austria - this is a German train station also and the pass will take you there - about 90 mins from Munich for a good day trip.

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM

to me the 'best' (meaning most significant) remains of a concentration camp in Germany is near Berlin - Sachenhausen, about 20 miles north of Berlin by train or S-Bahn train. Here you have remains of the grisly gas chamber - Dachau was more of a work camp - many died but no remains of gas chamber i believe.

Any concentration camp however is evocative of the horrors perpetrated by a 'cultured' nation not really that long ago.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsen...entration_camp
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM

If I only had 10 days, I'd pick the best of the Rhine spending a couple of days. Then down the Romantic Road spending at least two nights in Rothenburg ob de Tauber and go down to Munich the concentration camp. Even if you're very active travelers, I'd leave Berlin for another trip.

Why not fly out of Munich?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM

I agree with LSky. A trip from Frankfurt to the Rhine and/or Mosel valleys (both very scenic with many castles to visit), then Rothenburg (beautifully preserved walled town) and Munich would be plenty to fill 10 days.

Unfortunately Dachau did indeed have a gas chamber and crematorium, and they are both still intact. Although I have not been to any other concentration camps in Germany or elsewhere, I was very moved by Dachau and it has an amazingly thorough exhibition. Definitely worth a visit, and it would work with this itinerary.