German Language School Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a 1 week German Languge Course at the end of August. The DID Deutch Institute offers 1 week courses starting every week which might be suitable. Does anyone in this community have experirnce with this school and would it be beneficial and fun for an older adult?
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
can you post a link, tessie?

another fodorite has done a few courses at various Goethe Institutes and speaks very highly of them.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:42 AM

One of my friends (American) has done many weeks of German at the Language Institute Treffpunkt in Bamberg, which is a beautiful town not too far from Munich. You might want to check it out at

http://www.learn-german.com/
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM

I'm the Fodorite who's done courses (four of them) at various Goethe Institutes in Germany. I'm not sure if you can sign up for just one week, though at my last institute, there was a guy who was there for only 2 weeks. (He was a gas!)

I definitely qualify as an "older" adult, since I'm 78. There was a guy who was 68 in my most recent institute, and at my previous institute I was in class with a Japanese man who was 79.

Goethe Institutes start around the beginning of each month, but depending on how much German you already know, but you might be able to fit in at the end of the month.

I definitely enjoy going to Goethe Institutes. You get to know people from all over the world. In my last class, there were several Libyans, a Saudi, a Syrian, two Chinese, and aa teenaged lawyer from Paraguay. (She wasn't really teenaged, but she looked very young to me). Two Americans.

If and when I go again, I'm going to Munich because they have an elevator there, and my poor old knees will appreciate that.
In the meantime, I'm going to audit classes at my university.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you folks, it seems this trip won't happen, thought I could work an 11 day jaunt but life has intervened. Perhaps in the spring as I desperately need a Europe fix. When the time is right I will definitely be looking to benefit from your experience Pegontheroad. Thanks also Tom18 and anhig. I always enjoy reading the posts here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 03:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what a shame, Tessie2. i do hope that you get the chance to do this sometime as IMO it's an excellent way of improving language skills whilst having fun and making new friends.