German/English electronic dictionary

Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German/English electronic dictionary

Has anyone used a small German/English dictionary? I have one for Spanish. It's very convenient for when I'm reading, and I don't know a word. I can look up the word without putting down my book.

I'd like a similar dictionary for German. I'd prefer one just for Germany/English, but in a pinch, a dictionary with a couple of other languages would be okay.

I'd like to pay $50 or so. But for sure under $100.

Any recommendations?
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Hi Pegontheroad,

I am not familiar with a German dictionary, but I really enjoy my Oxford-Hachette French/English dictionary which I bought last year for about on line last year in the $50 range. I downloaded it onto my computer.

I often go to French sites like Le Monde or Le Figaro and try to plow through an article. I was able to just click on the French word in the article and the dictionary would pop up with the definition. Unfortunately, I had a computer glitch recently which involved calling the Geek Squad who had to reload my computer. Now I cannot get the definition but access the dictionary and type in the word. Somewhat more time consuming but still works.

My goal is to improve my reading of French rather than my speaking the language which I find difficult. During my recent trip to Paris and Normandy, I found that I had about 75% proficiency in reading legends/signs in museums and such.

Acquiring a second language is a study of a lifetime. Good luck …
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
DAX

I got two electronic dictionaries as gifts, I used them only in front of the person gifting but never used them ever since because I prefer to use online dictionary on the high speed iPhone search.
Have you tried www.leo.org ? It's free and better than the electronic dictionaries I got.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I have a couple of those in a drawer. It's so much easier to use a book. Someone even gave me something that speaks for me. I just can't imagine stopping a stranger and saying, "wait wait, listen to this!" While the machine talks to them. awkward.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Do you have an Android or iPhone? I have several German dictionaries. Some offline and others online such as dict.cc and google translate. All free. Is this a good price?
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Hi Pegontheroad,

I'm with greg above. I have an android phone, and I downloaded the app "QuikDic." It's priceless. You don't need to be online to use it.

s