German Castle Hotels

Search

German Castle Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German Castle Hotels

We are planning a trip to Germany in October and would like to stay a couple of nights in the Rhine or Mosel region in a "Castle Hotel". We will be driving a rental car. We would appreciate any advice!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
rex

Some recommendations here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34659143

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM

Hello,

Great idea - the castles we stayed in were some of the highlights of our trip last fall! Looking quickly at my notes regarding the Rhine, here is a website (don't know how this will post....):
http://www.rhinecastles.com/

Also, the following hotel castle got good reviews:
http://www.schloss-rheinfels.de/inde...amp;Itemid=248

We actually ended up staying at one of the two feuding brothers' castles up on the cliff (supposedly a dispute over a woman) and loved it Castle Liebenstein. Every bit of the decor is thoughtfully done (even the baby cannon pointing to the brother's castle - great whimsy. We stayed in a room in the tower (14th century, I believe) The proprietor and proprietress were very helpful with sorting out logistics of driving to their town, taking the Rhine boat ride, and then getting to their castle. Here is some information:
Castle Liebenstein
Family Nickenig
D-56341 Kamp-Bornhofen on Rhine, Germany
Phone +49 (0) 6773 251 and 308
[email protected] Anita Nickenig (proprietess)
http://www.castle-liebenstein.com/

I think this is the email used to initially contact them through the rhine castles site in the first part of my notes above:
[email protected]

Let's see, closer to the Mosel....well, if you are going to Heidelberg, we stayed at another castle about 14 miles east of there and liked it - a memorable, other worldly approach after dark with a light mist coming down!:
Schlosshotel auf der Burg Hirschhorn
69434 Hirschhorn / Neckar
Tel: 06272 92090 Margret Oberrauner, [email protected]
www.castle-hotel.de
14 miles east of Heidelberg

For both these, see if you can get rooms that look down on the river/ towns below.

I'm sure you know thsi, but I would check Trip Advisor reviews for wherever you go.

Good luck!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM

Last year we stayed in the Falcon suite at Castle Auf Schoenberg. Beautiful room, great view and the most amazing food we had on our month long trip through Europe. Our kids love their "course dinner" as they call it. The staff was very friendly. Definitely a highlight of our trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your recommendations! Has anyone been to this area in October? I was wondering if there is fall color and what the Weather will be like
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We also stayed at the Castle Auf Schoenberg in Oberwesel on the Rhine for 2 nights last September. The room, castle, food, etc. were all well worth it.

We were there at the very end of September. Honestly I don't really remember there being "fall color" yet, and the weather was perfect - mid 70's and sunny.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Dear J. Elie,
My wife and I stayed at Auf Schoenberg in Oberwesel. We had the rhinelander room which overlooked the river and was large and very comfortable. The castle is ideally situated between St. Goar and Bacarach,easy to drive to. Also the dining at the hotel is top notch. Go for it!!
Paultheman