Reload this Page >

George restaurant in the Pompidou Centre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
Jean

I had a wonderful time every place I went to dine in Paris, except George in the Pompidou (aka Beaubourg). We went to see the wonderful modern art at the Beaubourg and decided to have lunch on the sixth floor at George because of the view. First we were confronted with a too trendy receptionist with a line of young women who all looked like they were waiting for their close ups (aka the wait staff). Almost all were in black and wore little purses across their bodies with white towels drapped over the purse. Way too precious, should have left then. <BR><BR> We were shown to an interior table no where near the floor to ceiling windows, when we asked about one of the many empty tables by the windows we were told they were reserved. Then our indifferent model/waitress showed up, n took our order Another couple was seated next to us at the long table where we were and they wondered about the window tables. We informed them that we had just been told thta they were for people with reservations. Quelle surprise --they had a reservation but had not been seated at a window. We suggested that they inform the receptionist and lo and behold , so sorry madame, monsieur, our mistake and they were moved to a window.<BR>Throughout the course of our meal, Americans/tourists were seated at interior tables and French/stylishly dressed individuals were seated at tables at or near the windows. When I commented on this fact to our indifferent model/waitress--oh no madame that is not the case, those tables are for smokers. What a load of you know what.<BR>In sum the food is fairly expensive and without a view it is definately not worth the expense and the treatment I received at George reminded me of many too trendy restaurants in SF and NYC.<BR>BTW I do not attribute the service to any alleged Parisien attitude, as noted it seems to be universal in many "trendy" restaurants .

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Susan

I too was seated at an interior table and told the window tables were resrved. I thought the place was too trendy for its own good.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:09 PM
jas

How did you hear about Georges? Just curious, because most everything you read (Fodors, etc.) talks about how trendy the place is...it just seems like you might have known that beforehand. Nonetheless, that's no excuse for rude service. I was there in Feb. and had reservations. We were seated by a window, but we are smokers. I found the staff to be quite accomodating, particularly since we were an hour late! Sorry for the bad experience--its 15 minutes will be up soon anyway.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
k

We ate there in the fall of 2000 and sat by the windows and were treated very well.<BR>What a shame that you had such an unhappy experience!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Ursula

Georges has been one of my favs in Paris, since it has been opened a couple of years ago.<BR>What we usually do: Before visiting the exhibitions, we go up to get a reservation and do insist on window seating. We never faced any problems. But then, we are fluent in French and a nice smile doesn't hurt, believe me. <BR>Agree, the food is little overrated, but still quite good. And the view can't be beat. <BR>It's one of the numerous trendy Costes Freres places in Paris and I agree that the staff in these places tends to be snippy, unless your are a regular guest.<BR>Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Jean.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:49 PM
connie

Jean, wear a cute little black dress with a little purse across your body, fluff up your hair and become hip so you too can join the beautiful people. That's just what "trendy" restaurants are, there to make a normal person feel completely inferior. If you know someone famous, take them and thumb up your nose at the staff.