Search

Geneva to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva to Rome

I'm travelling to Rome from Geneva. Does anyone of you know how long this will take by train and how much it will cost? Is there a website I can look for train schedule. This is my first trip to Europe and I welcome any help.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Hello tates,<BR><BR>For scheduling information, go to www.rail.ch. I found this info there: the trip runs about 10 hours with two changes or 9.25 hours with one change if you go in the daytime. If you go at night, there is a direct train that leaves Geneva at 21.18 and arrives at 9.55 the next day (12 hours with 0 changes).<BR><BR>The fares information is much more difficult because the trip crosses a border. But I did some estimating. Raileurope (www.raileurope.com) lists the cost (2d class) as $107. Since Raileurope charges so much for their tickets, I would guess the actual charge if you buy the tickets in Geneva as about $80 - 90. <BR><BR>If you elect to go at night, you'll probably want to get a couchette or sleeping car, if available. I'm offering this to help you make your plans, but I really suggest you ask/buy at the Geneva train station a few days before you leave to get a better price.<BR><BR>There has been a lot of information here about the comfort of a couchette or sleeping car; if you do a text search above you'll find lot of information as well as a link to an informative website (I can't remember it right now!!!).<BR><BR>Best of luck!<BR><BR>s
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Sometimes www.sncf.com works for international fares, and in this case I was able to get it to quote fares on the night train of 158.20 Euros for a sleeper and 110.20 Euros for a couchette.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Hello Again tates,<BR><BR>I found the website with lots of information about trains in Europe -- this is probably more information than you'll need. But here it is:<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm. <BR>If you scroll down about 1/3 of the page, you'll find information about sleeping on trains.<BR><BR>Are you also researching low-cost airlines? I'm not sure if there IS such a route, but it might be worth investigating.<BR><BR>s
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I appreciate the time and effort in answering my query. This is a big help. tates