Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Geneva to Lucern to Paris via everthing!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... A tall order. We would like to incorporate a bunch of places in a few days, and aren't sure the best way to get it all in without spending every penny we don't have.

The plan: leave Geneva, and stop and see Leysin (some personal family history, although I think there is nothing much there -- let me know if otherwise). Then it looks on the map like we could make it up to Interlaken or Grindelwald on the same day. I would like to see both these places, simply because I have heard of them, and I figure, in Switzerland, there isn't a whole lot that isn't nice to see. but, which? And where to stay? Then, we have to get to Lucerne the next day. We are staying with friends, and hope they will show us around, but don't know yet what other day-trips might be on their itinerary.
Then, we have three days to make our way to Paris, and we are thinking of exploring the champagne region of France.

This journey is to begin in one week!
This late in the game, my biggest questions are: (1)What is the cheapest way to do the travelling by rail -- half fare cars? Swiss Passes and individual France tickets?

And, (2) what should we make sure not to miss?

Please help with your always helpful and informative responses.
Thank you!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Hi twibby,

Yes you're right about Leysin -- not much to see there except a few chalets scattered across the ridge. Most of the chalets belong to an international boarding school. The scenery is great and I imagine the hiking would be great too, but you don't have time to indulge on this trip!

As you're travelling by train, I think you'll have to return to Montreux and go on to the Jungfrau region from there -- go via Zweisimmen for the best views. I'd suggest you stay in Wengen, Muerren, or Grindelwald. Do a text search here for lots of recommendations for walks, hikes, hotels, and restaurants.

Yes, the cheapest train fares are usually with the half-fare card, but really the only way to find out is to price out each of your journeys and then compare them under the various passes.

In Luzern, don't miss a ferry ride on the lake!

I think there's a TGV from Berne to Paris, so that leg of your trip will be easy. You can check it at www.rail.ch.

Let me know if I can help further.

s
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Change of plans -- we found a great deal on a rental car through autoeurope.com (a US company, but cheaper than the other one online based here in Switzerland). For six day, with a one way drop-off fee, but with help from whoever was sorting through the online requests to make it even cheaper than our original quote, we ended up with unlimited miles, etc., a 4door compact for about 350USD. The kind person on the other end saw what we were trying to do, and changed our request to pick up the car on the "French side" of the Geneva airport, so we wouldn't have the international thing. Brilliant!!
So now, we are driving Geneva, to Leysin, quick look at Grindelwald, then to INterlaken (staying in Bonigen), then on to Lucerne for a few days. Then to Dijon -- staying at Hotel Phillippe le Bon which looks nice. Then to Reims, staying in Reuilly one night at a little b&b country chateau. Need on more night accomodations in that area, and then on to Paris.

The trip is shaping up, for sure!

Any must-sees??
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hi be sure tha car has the yearly sticker to drive in Switzerland.