Geneva to Lauterbrunnen and back in one day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Geneva for one day in April. We have seen pictures of the Lauterbrunnen area: Interlaken, Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, etc and REALLY want to visit. We fly into Geneva at 8:50am and leave the next day at 7am. Do you think it'd be possible/ worth it to rent a car at the airport, drive to Lauterbrunnen, (google says it would take about 2.5 hours), explore the area for the day, drive back in the late-ish evening, and return the car by 11pm? Is that just too crazy?
If you think its doable, what would you recommend we do in Lauterbrunnen? Any MUST see attractions? Everywhere I research in that whole area looks absolutely breathtaking.
If you're on the "that's nuts" train, what would you recommend for a day trip? We are definitely more into scenery and mountains than cities.
Thank you so much in advance!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Go for it - drive to Grindelwald not Lauterbrunnen, which is sunk in a deep gorge - Grindelwald has as good vistas as anyplace. Those are the only two cities you can drive to and park as above those two no private vehicles are allowed - a myriad of tiny mountain trains and thrilling aerial gondolas go off in all directions.

I'd suggest taking the gondola from Grindelwald up to The Mannlichen - celebrtated viewpoint for miles around both up towards awesome glacier-girdled high Alps and down over Interlaken wedged between its two lakes.

then take the popular and very easy few-mile Ridge Walk to Kleine Scheidegg from where you could take a train back to Grindelwald.

Or from Grindelwald take train to Jungfraujoch - western Europe's highest train station and a world of perpetual snow and ice -n waltz to a nearby glacier - explore ice caves or have a snack in the restaurant, etc. This would take most of your time. Is very popular - most popular excursion in whole area.

But there is a panoply of other scintillating things to do in the area.

For more on transports in area and what to do check https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...berland1.html; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

You may only have one chance to visit this wonderland -go for it.

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a 3.5 hour journey one way by train, which, if I were to undertake this trip, I'd do instead of car.

Seven hours just to get there and back doesn't leave a whole lot of time to explore.

Lauterbrunnen is the start of many alpine excursions - many people just pass through on their way elsewhere in the BO. Having said that, I like Lauterbrunnen and have spent several days there at a time. It's in a gorgeous valley - think waterfalls. You might be able to fit in the trip to Truemmelbach Falls, but not much else.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...-of-stone.html

Driving has its own set of issues - picking up the car, finding your way there and back, parking in Lauterbrunnen, returning the car, etc. By the time you pick up your luggage, get through the airport, get the car, and get on your way, half the day is over.

Sunset in April is around 8 pm, which is in your favor.

It's not something I'd personally do, but I'm a bit jaded. If it's your only chance, and you really want to do it...where there's a will, there's a way.
twk

I wouldn't try that, and certainly not by car. The Eastern end of Lac Leman is pretty scenic in its own right. You could take a cruise on the lake, and take train to the overlook over Montreux. Something like that would make more sense.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:44 PM
kja

Like others, I personally wouldn’t do it – as twk noted, you have some wonderful options at the eastern end of Lake Geneva in and around Montreux.

And if you do decide on Lauterbrunnen, I’m with Melnq – I’d take the train, not a car. Why not let the driver enjoy the scenery?

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 05:56 PM

Maybe I would do it. I can't seem to decide.

But if I would do it, I would go just a little further than Lauterbrunnen and either go to Wengen or Mürren. The mountains are spectacular.

I would also, like suggested by others, take the train not a car. It is more efficient and you can relax more. You can train from the airport. (where would you leave your luggage?) The train website is sbb.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Picking a random day, there is a 9:50am arriving at 13:49 in Wengen (3 changes)

Coming back there is a 8:03pm from Wengen arriving at 12:21am at Geneva Airport. The latest departure is at 9:14pm if you really want to push it.Of course traveling the day before your flight is always dicey.

So it would give you five/six hours in Wengen. That is enough time to go up with the cable car and do an easy hike.

You can wait and see what is the forecast that day or you can just go ahead and book the tickets in advance.

I don't know what your situation is and how likely you are to be back in Geneva. Thinking more about it, I would not do it because I am in Europe 2-3 times a year and I travel with 2 young children. I would be able to go back. But if I lived far away from Europe, like Australia for example and I did not think I would be back in the next 10 years, yes, I would go for it.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gondolas and trains in the Lauterbrunnen Valley are expensive.

For example, in 2011, the last time I slept in Wengen, a ticket for the Mannlichen gondola was 20 CHF.

This is why most visitors buy a Swiss Pass or Half-Fare Card.

But it would not make sense for you to buy passes for only one day in Switzerland.

You can go to www.sbb.ch to look at ticket prices.

Thin
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 06:05 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like Wengen to Mannlichen is now 23 CHF - one way. Not that bad an increase in seven years really, unless Thin's example was return trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Lots of money for a brief look but it could be worth it.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, of course there will be a return trip from Mannlichen or Kleine Scheidegg someway, by gondola or train.

OP could walk back to Wengen but that would take hours.

There are two travellers, so 46 CHF for one-way trip from Wengen to Mannlichen. That is $47 US.

Lunch at a place like the Shönegg hotel in Wengen could easily be $100 for two.

A very expensive day trip. Worth it, of course, but OP should realise the costs.

Thin
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 08:40 AM

If you want to see the area I really think you should do it! It’s not uncommon to drive to the mountauns for a mountain lunch from Geneva. Rent a car and don’t worry about trains. It’s a very easy ride. Haven’t kept up with the CHF for the last couple of months but I was in Switzerland in October and in November and you certainly noticed the weaker CHF. Car rental is slower in Geneva than in ZUrich as you have to take a (free) bus to where the cars are parked but you sholud be on your way fairly quckly