Geiranger and summer ship crowds - need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were fortunate to spend several VERY quite days in Geiranger in Oct 2018 for a 25 year anniversary trip. There wasn't a ship in sight and we had the small town to ourselves. Next summer we're taking the sons with us (high schoolers) and we're doing it mid July due to summer vacation. From what I understand about 1 million visit the town between May and Sept and can make the town hectic, if not impassable, during that time. The current scheduled show one ship being in port from 8am-2pm (MS Hamburg 420 passengers) and another from 11am-8pm (MV Austoria 500 passengers). Fortunately these aren't the monster, 2500 passenger types.

Has anyone had experience in Geiranger during the summer? My hope is that if we head into the mountains...getting on the road about when the 8am ship arrives, that we won't have much difficulty with crowds. I do believe that we'd get back from touring for the day before the 8pm ship leaves, but we'd just have to slowly roll through town to get to our hotel.

I'm just looking for some experience to say what we're hoping for is doable...or do the additional bus crowds make it so bad even my itinerary above will be miserable.