Search

Gays in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Brad

Gays in London

My partner and I have the opportunity to spend a week in London in October. Neither of us have been before although we have visited Europe. I have to say that my image of London and England generally, is of a rather dull, conservative, relatively unstylish place. Is this true? How is the gay scene there, well developed? How about the food, shopping and nightlife - we look for good service and high standards when we travel. Will we find this in London? Finally, how is the English attitude to gays. Thanks!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:47 AM
mimi taylor

There are clubs and pubs a plenty. Buy the magazine, Time Out that has listings.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Huh

<BR>dull? conservative? unstylish? gay scence? developed?<BR><BR>Why do you bother?<BR><BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:05 AM
xxx

Brad - first comment is you seem to have some pretty high expectations. Since you've been to Europe, I assume you're used to things being different (not worse, just different). That being said, London has lots of great luxury hotels - unfortunately given the expense, most of us can't afford to stay in these properties in London (for example, we often stay at the Four Seasons properties in the US, but can't touch Claridges or the Savoy in London). A good hotel (small rooms, but very new and posh) near Soho (the area I assume you would be most interested) is the Charlotte Street Hotel.<BR><BR>Gay scene is very open around Soho (especially Old Compton Street) which is also the theatre district, very convenient (enjoy shows in London more than even New York and it's the only thing that's less expensive than the states).<BR><BR>There are some great boutiques for shopping....Harvey Nichols (also has a great Yo Sushi on the fifth floor), Selfridges (great department store that's very hip), Paul Smith and Reiss (kind of a hipper Banana Republic).<BR><BR>Great historic sites also (Churchill War Rooms my favorite) and the new Tate Modern Gallery is wonderful (across the Thames at the new Millenium Bridge).<BR>Food is a little tougher, personally hate the old British style food, but you can find lots of great Indian food (not my favorite type food) and there are also sushi and Italian restaurants abound. Spoon is a great restaurant in the Sandersen (one of Ian Schrager's hotels that's all about being seen)<BR><BR>Not big on the nightlife thing, but it definitely has a scene (pick up a rag when you're there). The hours are kind of weird and the pubs close early. There was a fun bar that's open later on the north side of Soho Square.<BR><BR>Have fun

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
xxx

Brain cramp - posted the following as a question: Although the British are somewhat conservative, their attitude is alot more open towards race, gay, etc. than pretty much anywhere in the US except maybe NYC.<BR><BR>I guess the Starbucks hasn't quite kicked in yet.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Whoknew

You guys are certainly in for a huge surprise. London's gay scene is hip and happening.<BR><BR>But the kinds of questions that you're asking require more than you're going to get from a general message board. The Time Out suggestion is a good one. Also, go into PlanetOut's or Gay.com's travel section. Or buy a guide book.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Sjoerd

The gay scene in London is GREAT. Good clubs are G A Y and Heaven.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:11 AM
deniseb

I am english and I say we are definitely NOT conservative. I do feel that sometimes you guys from USA have a 19th Century opinion of us over here. Come on, we are in the 21st Century and moving along very nicely, and are very open about gayness. When you come on over here, be sure to watch Graham Norton (very gay and camp tv host) on Channel 4 - his show is outrageous and you will be left thinking the USA is conservative...

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:44 AM
abc

Big Breakfast is my personal favorite. Is it still on? Didn't even turn the TV on last trip in February.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:52 AM
tom

Brad<BR><BR>I'm a gay american and live in london with my american partner. You should lose your image of london. It's a pretty cool and hip place as i'm sure you will discover. people are very cool about gays just as in the u.s. maybe just try to avoid what they refer to as yobs here-drunken lads. that's been my experience anyway. my only complaint is that gay life is very segragated and confined to old compton street. there aren't as many mixed places as in new york. try freedom in soho for a good vibe or rupert st. bar for the hottest guys in london.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:00 AM
denise

.. the Big Breakfast has finished 'abc'! (thank the good lord for that, I thought it sucked ;O) )

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Thierry

Judging by your email address, you seem to be on the "bear" circuit. In this case, you should check out the "XXL" parties, twice weekly, which, according to the London buzz, are quite good.<BR><BR>But in general I think that, by my own Parisian standards, gay life in London might be varied on paper (try QX magazine, available on the web) but actually limited by the fact that a) all pubs close at 11 PM b) Brits don't seem to be capable of having a good time unless they have drunk 12 pints of lager and popped a few pills, which gives a weird slant to the night life here. But London is neither dull, nor conservative, nor unstylish

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
notbear

Thierry - how about cool "gay" things to do in Paris. I'm 36, traveling solo and interested in maybe going out maybe one or two evenings after dinner. Not into dancing/club scene and super late nights....do like cool places with hip crowd to hang out (if you've ever been out in NYC, like places similar to "G" or the Big Cup (coffee shop). Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:22 AM
I'm Baaack!!

Two condoms walk into a fag bar....they both got shit faced.<BR><BR>What do you get when you cross an Eskimo faggot with a black?<BR>A snowblower that doesn't work.<BR><BR>What do a bungee jumper and a faggot have in common?<BR>If the rubber breaks, they are both in deep shit.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Ben Haines

Brad. you might give Brighton a look, too. It has a strong gay culture, and is an hour away by train. See www.gay.brighton.co.uk/guide.htm<BR><BR>Welcome to England.<BR><BR>Ben haines, London

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Kate

Ben's right to mention the gay scene in Brighton, which has a nice vibe... and the sea! Queer As Folk was based on the scene in Manchester, which is swish and happening. But you'll do okay in London.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Brad

Thank you all for your replies. I guess we got some reading to do....Looking forward to the trip and will post a report when we return