Reload this Page >

Gatwick to London; car rental from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:55 PM
Chris Bradshaw

Our family is traveling to England - 2 adults, kids ages 12 and 16. How does the cost of a taxi or private car from Gatwick into London compare with the cost of the express train? Does the tube go out that far? Has anyone picked up an Avis rental in London? We're concerned about driving in the city. We've considered picking a car up in Croydon or Kingston Upon Thames but are unsure about the best way to get there. Hampton Court looks close to Kingston on the map but not sure how far it really is. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
doug

Gatwick Express is about 10 pounds I'm sure you can find the exact price online. It is very easy and convenient but you will still need a 10-20 pound cab from Victoria. Gatwick is pretty far from the city so a cab from Gatwick has got to be very expensive and will probably not save time. A private car is definitely worth looking into. Forget the tube.<BR>Have picked up an Avis car around Marble Arch somewhere and if you are just heading out of town it is not too bad. Rental folks are used to telling you the simplest way to get out of town. Would not recommend driving around a lot in London

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:26 PM
janis

The tube does not go as far as LGW. The Vistoria Express train is fast, frequent and inexpensive. But for four travelers a car service would probably be better.<BR><BR>The most convenient and easiest places to pick up rental cars are either Gatwick or Heathrow. (If you are headed south - Gatwick, going west or north - Heathrow) Both airports are well serviced by public transport. Both are on Motorways and outside of the worst London traffic. You could rent from central London - but the traffic, parking and road construction makes it VERY difficult.<BR><BR>Some will say the LHR is too congested - but the rental agencies are not actually on the airport, but outside the ringroad so you really don't get caught up in the bad airport traffic. <BR><BR>Plus, since presumably you will have to drop the car off before flying home, it is much more convenient to pick up/return to the airport.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:28 PM
janis

that is the VICTORIA Express

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:31 PM
scumpy

Uh, Janis, you mean Gatwick Express to Victoria station?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:34 AM
bettyk

Just returned from London. We flew out of Gatwick back to the U.S. and used www.london-transfers.com. I highly recommend this service. I booked on their website and had a confirmation within 24 hours. They were on time and very professional. The cost for 4 people going to Gatwick is 64 pounds. It's only a few pounds more than the Gatwick Express and so much more convenient.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
janis

No - I meant the Victoria Express. From LGW to Victoria it is called the Vic Express and from Vic to LGW it is called the Gatwick Express.<BR><BR>Just as the Paddington to LHR is called the Heathrow Express and in reverse direction it is the Paddington Express.<BR><BR>the destination is the name . . .

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
ron

Janis, this is something I did not know - that the train changes its name depending on the direction it is going. I have found the web pages for the Gatwick Express, www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/ and for the Heathrow Express, www.heathrowexpress.co.uk/, but cannot find the same for the Victoria Express (www.victoriaexpress.co.uk/ does not work) and the only Victoria Express I can find through Google search is a ferry between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC. Likewise, www.paddingtonexpress.co.uk comes up empty. Can you help?<BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Red

The information for the Heathrow to Paddington Express is on the same web site as the Heathrow Express. I would assume the same for the Gatwick Express.<BR><BR>I wouldn't recommend a cab unless you are splitting the fee with several people or charging it to your expense account.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:48 AM
DKH

When I was in London Gatwick last week, I followed the signs for the Gatwick Express to purchase my tickets and board the train into London. Did not see any Victoria Express. Perhaps just the locals call it that?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
xxx

Chris there is a train from Gatwick that takes you to East Croydon Station in 15mins(I've done this) fare is approx: 8pounds and a taxi to your pick-up spot would be around the same or maybe even less. You can pick-up a rental car from one of many agencies Hertz, Avis on London Road in Croydon I have also done this (this is how I came up with the cost of the taxi). I assume you have a reason for wanting to pick-up your rental car in Croydon. I have also picked up a rental car at Gatwick and returned the car at Gatwick this saves you on the fare into the city and back to the airport.