Garda Lake

Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Garda Lake

We will be in Verona this September and want to do a day trip to Sirmione in the morning and then visiting around Garda Lake. Does Sirmione worth a full day ? If not what is the best way to see Garda lake by boat (Ferry) by bus around the lake ? To rent a car ? If enough time after Sirmione we would like to visit Gardone Riviera and Malcesine.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
rex

I think it's too much to cram into one day personally - - in other words, yes, Sirmione merits a full day, or more than 4 hours at least. And I would allocate a full day to exploring other reaches of the lake - - by rental car.

So much other good stuff nearby as well. It would merit a three day car rental.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:30 AM
GAC

A rental car gives you the maximum flexibility and time efficiency. However, you should know that there is hourly bus service from Verona to both Sirmione and to the eastern shore (Bardolino, Garda, Torri del Benaco, Malcesine, Torbole, Riva). A ticket to Sirmione costs 2.75 Euros each way (one hour travel time). From Sirmione, you could board a ferry or hydrofoil and travel to Salo, Gardone Riviera, and then across to Garda. Check schedules in www.navigazionelaghi.it

From Garda, you could take the bus back to Verona in one hour travel time.

Alternatively, you could bus to Sirmione, take the ferry or hydrofoil all the way to Riva (or Malcesine), then bus back to Verona.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:33 AM

If you do go to Sirmione, be sure to venture past the charming town to the tip of the peninsula where the old ruins are. These were the baths of Cattullus, very interesting and worthwhile.

We took a boat to Gordone and had a very pleasant "tour" of the lake.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM

Rex, what is there in Sirmione that rates a full day? I was there on my first trip to Italy ten years ago and thought it was very pretty, but it seems to me it was quite small, and that there wasn't that much to see and do beyond just strolling through the streets. For some reason, I didn't visit the castle -- maybe it was closed that day. I did visit the Cattullus ruins. I'll have 3 days on Lake Garda in early September, and I thought I might give Sirmione another look. Besides the castle, what are some of the things I should look for this time?
Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
GAC

Unless you want to spend the good part of the day relaxing and/or sunbathing on the deck of one of Sirmione's wonderful lakefront hotels, or taking spa treatments in one of the luxury hotels, I would not budget more than 3 or 4 hours to this pretty resort town. Once you've strolled the narrow streets and visited the Roman Villa ruins "Grottoes of Catullus", there is really nothing more to do. Take the ferry and stop in the other lakeside towns such as Gardone Riviera, Garda, Torri del Benaco and (time permitting), Malcesine.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:07 PM

I concur with GAC--4 hours in Sirmione is plenty--get up to Malcesine and Riva.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Grazie all,
With your recommandations and some research here we are:

Verone-Sirmione
08h53-09h20 Train

-Rocca Scaligeri
-Bath of catullus

Sirmione-Malcesine
14h26-15h52 Ferry

-Monte Monte Baldo Cable Car
-Old City

Malcesine-Verona
20h35-22h20 Bus

Does it makes sense ?
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:23 PM

I would agree that Sirmione could be seen in half a day.