Gap of Dunloe or Beara Peninsula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we have pretty much nailed down the "pre-wedding" part of our Ireland trip, but I have a question.

Our first two days (Sun and Mon) will be spent at the Cliffs and Dingle. On the third day (Tues) I thought we could do Killarney Nat'l Park, then drive to Kenmare for one night to check out that town. My question is: should we explore the Gap of Dunloe the next day (Wed) or the Beara Peninsula? We will be arriving in Killarney proper in the afternoon (probably 4 o'clock or so)on Wed to stay with friends for a wedding, and I am not sure if we will have time between then and Saturday (when we leave) to explore the Gap of Dunloe. We could possibly do it Thursday (wedding is Friday) but I sort of want to chill it with friends that day and not have anything planned.

Any advice?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Anyone?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:02 AM
Ardfert

Ideally the Gap of Dunloe trip is done by taking a bus to Kate Kearneys Cottage,a jaunting/horsecar ride through the 7 mile gap/valley,lunch and a boat trip back through the three lakes to Ross Castle.Splendid and highly recommended on a fine day but not if wet.The classical Killarney tour in fact for over a hundred years.It is available from www.derostours.com .If you have little time simply drive to Kate Kearneys Cottage west of Killarney and go for a walk for a few miles of the gap at your leisure. The Beara Peninsula is a tour with beautiful mountain and sea views.The choice is yours.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:52 AM

If you are short on time, you can drive to Kate Kearney's Cottage and take a jaunting car through part of the Gap of Dunloe. The ride takes about 45 minutes to an hour. We did this on a damp October afternoon when there were very few people around, so if it's a crowded, touristy day, I imagine it could take longer. You would want to do this from Killarney rather than driving back from Kenmare.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:06 AM

The Gap of Dunloe tour, with coach to Kate's Cottage, boat ride to Ross Castle, and coach back to town was 50 Euro for the two of us. The jaunting horse ride will cost you 80 Euro. There were 4 of us in the Jaunting car so it only cost us 20 Euro a piece, but the downside of that was going up hill, we had to get out and walk. Two people can ride.

If you are in any shape at all, I would recommend walking thru the Gap -- takes about the same amount of time as the horse ride.

The Beara Peninsula is nice -- drive up the Healy Pass from the South, around the Peninsula, and stop in Castletown Bere for lunch -- lots of nice pubs to chose from.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Do you think we have time to do Killarney Nat'l Park and a shortened tour of the Gap in one day?

I really want to see Beara . . . I like your suggestion, Budman. After lunch we could make our way back to Killarney.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

OK, last message did not post. What I said was:

DO you think we have time to do Killarney Nat'l Park and a shortened tour of Dunloe in one day?

I really want to see Beara. I like your suggestion, Budman. After lunch we could make our way back to Killarney.