Galway-Need some ideas

Search

Galway-Need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galway-Need some ideas

Need some itinerary ideas for 7 days in May landing at Shannon with Galway being a definite visit. Will have a car. Not looking to see everything but just taking it leisurely to enjoy. We've been to both Southeast (Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Waterford) and the Southwest (Cliffs, Burren, Dingle, Kinsale) and decided to try a new area to explore. Suggestions would be most welcome.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM

It's pretty obvious, if Galway is on your itinerary: Connemara, Aran Islands.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Aran Islands are a great day trip from Galway. In Galway, plenty to enjoy in a leisurely way. In addition to hanging around town, and walking down along the bay and along the river, I'd find out where the trad music is likely to be and go there in the evenings (the Quays, for example).

I also enjoyed Ennis, and it's convenient to get back to Shannon from there IMO.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Connemara and the Aran Islands are a must see while you are in Galway. Also just a stroll around the main part of the city around Eyre Square is a must. The Long Walk is enjoyable along with the Spanish Arches. The Cathedral is quite interesting as well.

As far as pubs I quite enjoyed The Hole in the Wall as it was usually fairly quiet and provided time to just relax and enjoy a pint or two and not have to deal with a large crowd. If you want music I agree with The Quays being a great place. The King's Head is also great if you want a mix. Taaffes is also extremely good for trad most nights. It's usually very crowded, but the music is great. To be honest this usually had the best music and was exactly what I was expecting an Irish pub to be.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Try 3 nights in, or around Galway, and 3 in Westport. If flying from Shannon, spend your last night in either Ennis - MY choice --, or Bunratty.

Returning via Dublin, O/N Dublin Airport -- visit Strokestown Famine Museum, enroute.

From Galway: Galway, Aran Islands, Cong
Enroute: Connamara, Doo Lough Valley, Kylemore Abbey, Assleagh Falls, Croagh Patrick
From Westport: Achille Island, Turlough Abbey and Museum of Country Life, Michael Davit Museum, Westport House and Matt Malloy's.

Bob