Galway Area Hotels

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Jerry

Galway Area Hotels

Any comments on the Corrib Great Southern, Great Southern and Glenlo Abbey Hotels. Visiting August 17 to 22, 2001. Thanks

Feb 13th, 2001, 06:50 AM
don

Author: Phyllis ([email protected])
Date: 2/08/2001, 2:25 pm ET

Message: Hi...Has anyone stayed at the Galway Great Southern Hotel, The Glenlo Abbey Hotel,or the Ballynahinch Castle Hotel all in Galway? Also, the Bunratty Castle Hotel in the Shannon Region? Would appreciate any information on these hotels. Thanks, Phyllis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Anna ([email protected])
Date: 2/08/2001, 2:37 pm ET

Message: My friends stay at the Great Southern whenever they're in Galway. Good location, nice hotel.

I've been to Bunratty Castle, but wasn't aware there was a hotel there. I think you probably have a lot better and cheaper options nearby. There's a B&B about 0.5 miles down the road. Sorry, don't know the name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Rita ([email protected])
Date: 2/08/2001, 2:53 pm ET

The Galway Great Southern Hotel is wonderful. Try the Oyster Room, which is the main restaurant of the hotel. They specialize in the local seafood. I wish I were there right now. Enjoy.

Rita

Author: Jen ([email protected])
Date: 2/09/2001, 1:10 pm ET

I agree! The location of the Great Southern is Prime and the service was very good.

Author: storo ([email protected])
Date: 2/09/2001, 1:36 pm ET

Message: I've stayed at Ballynahinch Castle hotel for a couple of days. It was originally more of a manor house than a castle and the hotel include various modern extensions to the original structure. So you'll be disappointed if you're expecting to stay in an old fashioned Norman style castle. Still its a charming, relatively small hotel with a good restaurant and bar. It has wonderful grounds with its own walks and salmon fishing available on the grounds. It is close to Clifden and would make a great base for exploring the surrounding Connemara countryside.

Feb 14th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Phyllis

Hi Jerry....
My husband and I have confirmed reservations at the Glenlo Abbey Hotel for 2 nights the beginning of June. I will let you know how it was when we get back the middle of June. It sounds absolutely fantastic and we are so looking forward to it.
Regards,
Phyllis

Feb 14th, 2001, 11:50 AM
AC

Hi Jerry:
I was in Glenlo Abbey in August 2000. It was fabulous!! The service was exceptional and the rooms spectacular. I loved it. I am returning again next May. I am really looking forward to it.
Have dinner in the Hotel restaurant The River Room..absolutely delicious. If you are there while the Galway Races are on they provide helicopter service (at a fee) to the Race Track. We had a great time. Have a great trip!!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:57 PM
Pat O'C

My family of five,three young ones, stayed in 1997. Excellent place, enjoy a really quality hotel.

Mar 14th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Brenda

I've stayed in the following:

Glenlo Abbey is fantastic, pricey, but wonderful. The restaurant is superb.

The Great Southern in Galway is a nice old hotel that is well-maintained. The location is terrific if you want to walk around Galway.

Bunratty Castle Hotel is great and not a real castle so the price isn't really high. It's fairly new, the rooms are well-designed and clean. I like it. It's directly across the street from Bunratty Castle and Durty Nellie's.

Email me for more info. I'm personally familiar with a lot more hotels.

Mar 20th, 2001, 08:38 AM
katey

Check out http://www.ireland.travel.ie I used this website when planning my trip to Ireland. The accommodation section is really helpful and supplies info, photos and email contact on all types of acc from hotels to cheap B&Bs in Galway. Itís also jam packed with ideas of exciting things to do and places to stay. Definitely worth a look

Mar 24th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Pat O'C

I just solved a problem for not getting the dates i wanted at a connamara b&b by booking a night back at Glenlo Abbey for 11. This will be a real treat for most who have'nt stayed there. By the way if anyone is interested I;m replying from a rental home we just arrived in, in Orlando, Fla. It's really a high quality home, with pool and all ammenities. E-mail if interested in web adress or info. Pat O'C