Further refining our Germany, Austria, Switzerland Plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I'll keep posting many times with many questions, but it helps to get some input along the way as we plan. I also know that many of you will tell me our trip is too ambitious, but I'd love to hear from people who have done a similar trip. I do realize I could spend 10 days and much more in any of these reasons, but the goal of our trip is to get a "taste" of each of these places so we can know where we want to come back to in the future.

Day 1 - Fly into Munich - spend day in Munich
Day 2 - Dachau and Munich
Day 3 - drive down to see Neuwanschtein Castle and area - spend the night around here (any suggestions??)
Day 4 - drive towards Salzburg - perhaps stopping in Berchtesgaden - get to Salzburg that evening
Day 5 - Salzburg
Day 6 - drive toward Innsbruck - siteseeing along the way (suggestions?) - spend night in Innsbruck (or other place along the way? suggestions?)
Day 7 - Innsbruck to Lucerne (route suggestions, places to see along the way?)
Day 8 - Lucerne
Day 9 - Lucerne - day trip? hiking?
Day 10 - Zurich to fly home (we may get an extra day depending on how the flights work out, so we might spend an extra night in Lucerne or spend a day in Zurich - if that happens what would you recommend?)

That's what we've got so far. We're working on our "must see lists" in each place. We know we have to investigate rental cars. I'm thinking that we will wait on renting a car until Day 3 to save some money since I'm confident we can do everything in Munich on public transportation (right? - even Dachau?). I realize that there may be a fee involved in dropping it off in Zurich.

Hotel recommendations in these areas would be wonderful and much appreciated. I've been combing the forums for ideas and all your posts have been so helpful.

Thanks so much,
Jessica
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM

IMO...Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Neuwanschtein, Luzern and Zurich seems to make better sense on the map. (Going from Munich to Fussen than back to Salzburg requires some backtracking).
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...that might make better sense. How far is Neuwanschtein from Innsbruck? The only hesistation I had was that we wanted to drive more through Austria toward Switzerland. Thanks for the suggestion - I'm going to think about that!

Jess
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM

1 1/2 hrs from Innsbruck to Fussen. 3 1/2 hrs from Fussen to Luzern.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Next question...I am assuming a solid day can be spent taking in Neuwanschtein Castle area. Is that correct?

Some other timing questions...how long does it take to tour Dachau? Is one day in Salzburg okay to see the main sites? What about Berchtesgaden? We really want to see Eagle's Nest and I read about salt mine tours? Would that be a whole day? Just trying to get some timing down.

Thanks again,
Jessica
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM

We visited Dachau from Munich and spent about 3 hours at the camp. We also did the castles as a daytrip as we enjoy Munich in the evenings and try not to change hotels more than necessary.

As for Salzburg, it is one of our favorites for a stay. We visited Berchtesgaden from there one day, St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang another and Koenigsee another. Salt mines take about 90 minutes once you are there - you can combine with Berchtesgaden.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM

kfusto...

I'm making the same trip in 2 mos.

Of Berch, St. Gilgen, Konigsee and St. Wolfgang did anyone stand out more than the other? If you had to pick one, which would you go back to. I'm staying one night in Hallstatt which gets rave reviews on this board, trying to figure out what else to do with my time. One option is going down to the Dolomites. (my drive is from Vienna to Zurich)

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Yes, we LOVED St. Gilgen! It was the Christmas season so was just magical. The boatride on the Koenigsee was beautiful as well but we will return to St. Gilgen first.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM

I would pick St Gilgen over St Wolfgang, which was just too crammed with people. We actually stayed opposite side of the lake from St Gilgan at the Gasthof Furberg. A REAL slice of heaven, one of my favorite stays ever. SO wonderful. We stayed there the whole time and took day trips elsewhere. We, too,loved Salzburg. It isn't a traditional European city by any means. What amazing charm.
http://www.fuerberg.at/index.asp?lng=en
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Thanks!!

bobthenavigator is a fan of St. Gilgen also. I have to take another look...
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I can recommend the Hotel Kurcafe in Fuessen - clean, convenient and wonderful breakfast buffet not to mention the pastry shop! We spent a whole day seeing Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Plus the town of Fuessen is nice to walk around.

And please try to get to Berchtesgaden - it's simply beautiful. You will love the trip to Eagle's Nest. If you have a clear day you can see for miles and it's stunning.

See our photos from our recent trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39159443@N05/
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this information. There is so much to think about! Here are some options - without having looked at road maps, what do you think is the best way to go to see these sites:

Day trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein/castle area - go back to Munich that night and then head to Salzburg

or Munich to Neuschwanstein/castle area, stay over in Fussen and then to Salzburg

or Munich to Salzburg and then hit Neuschwanstein/castle area after our night in Innsbruck

Berchtesgaden options:

If we stay in Fussen, how long does it take to get from that castle area to Salzburg? Could we see Berchtesgaden on the way to Salzburg.

or day trip to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg (would take up one of our Salzburg days).

or head to Berchtesgaden after Salzburg on our way towards Innsbruck.

Okay, I know that's a lot of options, but I'm looking at ways to fit these two areas into our travel plans in the most efficient way and the way that will maximize our time.

Thanks again!

Jessica