Fuel mileage

Dec 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Fuel mileage

I am looking at renting a car or van in Scandinavia and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the fuel mileage might be for either. Would be looking at a VW transporter van compared to a smaller economy or compact size car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:56 AM

What about this.. go to your car rental online website, select a model from the two classes, then look each model up on the car mfg. website, which will probably state the fuel consumption..at least that will give you an idea...
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I rented a diesel sedan in France in September, got 36 miles (US type) per gallon, which was better than a gasoline auto would have got. A similar auto using gasoline would have got 31 mpg, according to some source I looked up at the time.
Also, since the diesel was 15% cheaper, that was another plus.
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Hi

just a few points :

diesel is up to 30% cheaper per litre depending on which country you buy it

diesel gives about 30% more miles per gallon

US gallons are smaller than imperial (3.8l v 4.45l)

You can read about European spec vehicles (in English) here : http://www.whatcar.co.uk

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:16 AM

We've rented diesels twice and have gotten great mileage, especially in the summer when the fuel expands.

I hesitated in recommending one for Scandinavia because diesels are harder to start in the winter. Maybe they've perfected the ignition system.
Dec 20th, 2004, 02:57 PM

You shouldn't have any concerns about driving diesel cars in Scandinavia. The fuel contains winter additives to make it less likely to wax, and rental cars are almost always nearly new with tip-top battery and pre-heating circuit. Diesel cars aren't particularly popular there, so you may not be offered one.