From Pienza to Positano

Search

From Pienza to Positano

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Pienza to Positano

Can anyone advise the easiest way to go from Pienza to Positano? We'll have a car in Tuscany but are not really planning to drive to the AC.

Actually, I read some recommendations about driving to Sorrento and hire a driver to drive to Positano. Is the drive from Pienza to Sorrento easy? How long does it take? Will this be the easiest way?

If not, we will eventually take a train to Naples and hire a driver to pick us up fromt he Naples station. But where should we take the train in Tuscany? Chuisi? Orvieto? Or where?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:30 PM

Drive to Sorrento--about 5 hours and almost all autostrada. You can get the details at viamichelin.com. Stop at Pompeii enroute for 2 hours. Then, a bus or private driver to Positano--only about :30.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM

We drove from near Siena to Praiano. It was all autostrada, but it seemed like a very, very long trip.
We wanted a car with us on the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi maxi,

You can get driving times and directions at www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com.

From Sorrento, you can take the SITA bus to Positano.

http://www.sita-on-line.it/

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:55 AM
GAC

The closest major train station is at Chiusi, which is connected to Pienza by bus (transfer in Montepulciano). From Chiusi to Naples or Salerno, you usually must change trains in Rome.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

We decided to drop off the car in Chiusi and train to Naples. That way we will have less stress because of the driving. But meanwhile, I realized that the drop off office in Chiusi is closed on the date we intend to drop off the car (Sunday). What other alternatives do we have if we want to take the train?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi maxi,

>We decided to drop off the car in Chiusi and train to Naples. That way we will have less stress because of the driving.<

I don't understand this.

You will have already been driving through Tuscany. Why would another 5 hr on the autostrada be that stressful?

As Bob has mentioned, you can also see Pompeii if you drive.

You will require 3:37 hr for the train from Chiusi to Naples (25E pp in 2cl). From there you will have to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento (another 1:08 hr) and the SITA bus to Positano, or hire a driver (about 100E) to take you from Naples to Positano.

I do suggest that you rethink this. It will be easier and cheaper to drive.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Ira are you suggesting that 5 hours on the Italian autostrata is not more stressful than taking a train?
While driving is fine and not bad, it's hard to suggest that relaxing on a train is not nearly always LESS stressful than that much driving. I find riding on a train for 5 hours incrdibly relaxing. And while I do the navigating, not the driving, I'm well aware that the full 5 hours is spent with tension in my body while I keep a watchful eye for exits, toll booths, other drivers, and generally what's going on.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Ira and Patrick, thanks for your replies.

I talked with fiance about the driving from Pienza to Sorrento but he didn't feel that it's going to be enjoyable to drive 5 hours in the autostrada. Since he is the only driver, I cannot and do not want to stress him if that's what he feels.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:05 AM

. From pienza drive to San Quirico d'Orcia and stay on the n° 2 road till Viterbo and then to Civitavecchia then to Latina long the sea then Sorrento. Very nice road outside the motorway. very good asfault, nice villages on the road. it would take aroud 7-8 hours to Sorrento. ciao from Luca di Siena , tour guide in Tuscany.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Luca.

We're still considering the possibility of train, though.