Reload this Page >

From Paris to Como - Car or Train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Kurt

My spouse and I are planning a trip to France in October and would like to pop over to Como for a couple of days as well. We can either: (1) rent a car in Paris, drive to Como, then drive back to Northern France and continue our journey down south, or (2) take the train to Como and back and THEN rent the car. Any suggestions / advice?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:20 AM
elaine

Dear Kurt, I am confused by your question. You do mean Como in northern Italy, right? That's a lot farther than a pop over from Paris, and I don't understand the bit about driving to Como and then driving back to northern France. Southern France is closer to <BR>Como not northern France. <BR>I have not done the trip from Paris to Como, but I have taken the TGV from Paris to Avignon, and it's very pleasant--you could always rent a car from Avignon or better yet Nice and continue your journey to Italy. <BR>Here are train websites <BR> <BR>http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/tgv/ <BR>tgvindex.html tgv trains <BR>For french train service, go to : <BR>voyages.sncf.fr/voyages_gb/acgb_accueil.html <BR>also <BR>www.raileurope.com <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 11:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kurt, First, but a good map and then we <BR>can talk more. It is a LONG WAY !! <BR>You may want to train to Lugano from <BR>Paris and then drive from there. However, you need to understand the <BR>geography. I would also consider this; Paris, train to Nice for 2 days, get the car and drive to Lakes from there as an option.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Ben Haines

I thought I posted a reply a few hours go, but clearly I didn't. What I then said, before seeing the other useful replies, was this: <BR> <BR>With so little time you may like to do most of your travel in bed. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable, which has your times in tables 41 and 84. Go to bed in Paris Est about 2215. Leave 2243. Arrive Zurich 0643. Change to the Cisalpino train that leaves Zurich 0704. Wash and breakfast on board. Arrive Como 1011. <BR>Back: Como 1915, dinner on board, ask the conductor for your plaform number in Zurich. Zurich 2253 to 2300, Paris Est 0645. There's a decent brasserie for breakfast at 40 francs diagonally to the right across the road from Paris Est station. <BR> <BR>In January the return fare per person Paris Zurich Paris second class was 160 US dollars. To this you add a bed in a 2-berth cabin, 160 US dollars return (or a couchette berth, 40 dollars, but this is crowded). <BR> <BR>Then Zurich to Como return will be about 140 dollars. <BR> <BR>Where are you headed in the south of France ? If you take a train from Como to Milan you can change to an express train that runs through the Alps from Milan Central . Your choice is Milan Central 0930, Geneva 1453 to 1624 (late lunch ?), Lyons Perrache 1822 or Milan Central 1225, Geneva 1751 to 1820, Lyons Perrache 2016. Of all these trains only the 1820 has a buffet car. <BR> <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 04:12 PM
Kurt

Thanks anyways folks, but the plans have changed, so no more responses are needed. Incidentally, I did want to thank some of you for your derisive, snotty, patronizing "assistance". Always nice to encounter people who are so eager to help someone out with an innocent question (even if the author does have a less than perfect familiarity with the local geography). I'll be sure and return to this forum REAL soon.