Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Munich to Amsterdam in 7 days where do I start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going with my 20 year old son to Germany mid May with a college spring term class. It is a 10 day Fairy Tale road tour starting in Munich. He and I are staying for another 7 days following and want to do some fun things that would appeal to him. We want to spend at least 2-3 days near Amsterdam visiting friends, then I will fly out from Munich and he is off to Estonia to visit his college roomate. We are on a little bit of a budget. Where do I start to find a reasonable car, lodging, highlights, etc? A little side trip down to Austria and Switzerland would be nice but don't know about time. Can you help get me started at least? I was in Germ/Aus/Switz for honeymoon in 1984..alot has changed, especially the $$$$
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Clarification needed.

You have 7 days starting in Munich and want to spend 2-3 of those in Amsterdam at the end? Is that right? So you want advice for 4 days between Munich and A'dam?

4 Days shouldn't cost you too much. I'm sure we'll come up with something. But what do you have in mind when you say "things that would appeal to your son"? And to you?

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM

agreed with Russ, if u r clear what fancies u & ur sons, shouldn't b difficult to plan a good trip for 4 days. Since u r flying out fr Munich, how about Salzburg (45 mins by train fr Munich)
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Is there a reason why you want to return to Munich?

If not, I suggest getting tickets into Munich and out of Amsterdam or PARIS.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, it is so hard to get a lot of information in a few words. The tour we will be on will end at the Munich airport as the rest of the group will fly home. I am flying out of Munich because I had to make a split second decision. All of this came up in 3 days and alot of decisions had to be made quickly. (my last minute son!)Yes, I think about 3 days in Netherlands and 4 days wherever. I like just about anything, not big on museums. He is a little fussier. I thought he might like the BMW factory?, castles, theater, are there breweries or wineries? What to do in Salzburg? I have already been to Dachau, but he might be interested in something like that? I am open to suggestions. We could go to Netherlands first then come back, or visa versa. Looking at probably renting a car. Sorry, I'm just typing as I think of things. I thank you for any help or suggestions.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I thought of a couple more things...Maybe a boat ride down the Rhine?, Scenic areas? Would we be better off to just rent the car for the time before we go to the Netherlands and take a train to the Netherlands? Trains seem to be so expensive, used to be THE way to travel, but I understand that they don't have much parking there. Thanks again.