Reload this Page >

From Madrid Airport

Search

From Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:11 AM
Myer

From Madrid Airport

There was a thread some time ago discussing the airport shuttle service from Madrid Airport to the city. <BR>Can't find it. <BR>Can anybody help?

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:15 AM
Jean Valjean

There is a shuttle, I took it once, but can't remember exactly where. It stops outside of every terminal. <BR> <BR>You may also take the metro. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:59 AM
cristina

I agree with Jean, metro is a very good and cheap option.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:28 AM
sera

Madrid airport is not that far from center of city and taxis are pretty cheap and easy.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:21 AM
Maribel

Myer, <BR>You can reserve the shuttle at www.aerocity.com While it's very reasonable, if you're staying in the Puerta del Sol area it may make several drop-offs along the route (but you're guaranteed no more than 3) before reaching your hotel. Or you may get lucky and be the only passenger-never know... <BR>Many Fodorites have been happy with the Aerocity service. I took their shuttle to Barajas on a Sun morning and wasn't so lucky- took a circuitous route around the city because of another hotel pick up, and the trip took 45 min-a taxi from my hotel in northern Madrid would have taken 10, but I wanted to give the shuttle a try. <BR>The metro is your cheapest option-ticket costs 145 pts., but if you're planning to use the metro frequently during your visit, you should buy a "bono transporte" ticket for 10 trips, which saves you over 40%. But to reach the Puerta del Sol area via metro you'll need to make two transfers (from line 8 at Mar de Cristal to line 4 to Goya, then 2 to Sol, and this takes a minimum of 45 min. It's also a very loong walk (10 min) from your arrival gate to the snazzy new metro station in Barajas. You'll find luggage racks only on line 8 to Mar de Cristal, a short hop. I wouldn't advise this if you're heavily laden with luggage, as the Madrid metro can be very crowded mid-morning. With just a backpack it's fine. I take it all the time to Barajas to pick up friends, but we usually taxi back into the city. <BR>Another option is the yellow Airport-Plaza Colon bus which departs every 10-15 min. and costs around 380 pts. It has luggage racks and storage undernearth and will take you to the underground stop at Plaza Colon (a 15-20 min ride) on the Castellana Blvd. where you'll need to taxi to your hotel (another 10 min to the Puerta del Sol area). <BR>About taxis: <BR>This summer and last I took taxis several times from Madrid's Salamanca district to catch flights at Barajas-even on a Mon at 9 a.m. the trip only took 15 min. and cost 2,100 pts. Please be aware that there is a surcharge of 500 pts for an airport pick up and 50 pts. for each bag carried in the trunk. A taxi from Barajas to Sol should run at most 3,000 pts. in heavy traffic and take no more than 20-30 min. provided your driver takes a direct route (and the vast majority are very honest in this regard). <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:42 AM
Myer

Maribel, Thanks. <BR>Aerocity is the company I was looking for. <BR>If the price of a taxi is about 3,000 pts including the extras and the shuttle is 2,200 pts for two people, it hardly pays to take the shuttle to save $5. <BR>