Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Fodors FAQ: What should I do if I see a message that's rude?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I do if I see a message that's rude or contains advertising?

If you see a message or reply that violates our rules of conduct, e-mail [email protected] with the forum name and the title of the post -- we'll look into it. We would prefer that you NOT add further comments to an objectionable message

Just thought I'd let y'all in on this so we can nip today's problem in the bud. I've already emailed them, maybe more can help.
I really just want to get back to travel advice.

Thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Topping since people are doing the opposite of what they're supposed to....

Stop topping the troll posts!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Over the past few years, I have found that totally ignoring any poster who is rude or looking for attention works best. Just skip over their post like it is not even there. If you acknowledge them and respond they have achieved their purpose and distracted you. They get tired of being ignored and go away when they are not getting a response. A
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:12 AM

I'm replying to this partly to keep it topped. I fell for one of the deceptive posts and replied to it before I realized what was going on this morning. The fodors editors must have a lot to do this Monday morning to let this go on so long.

I am in agreement with allovereurope and aine, or as someone said on a different board recently with a similar problem, "Step away from the nutjob."
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM

ttt
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:47 AM

I think I speak on behalf of many when I say <b>THANK YOU, EDITORS!</b>
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:24 AM

<b><i> Yes, Thank You Fodors!</i></b>
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:25 AM

A round of applause!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:31 AM

More thanks. The editors have done a lot to make this a more &quot;friendly&quot; board and it is good to see they are continuing the effort.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Today's demonstration was a bit odd, I'll admit, almost resulting in a monopolization of the board (and the stalking of IRA). That said, I would hope that Fodors would use more restraint in editing our discussions, in other words delete or edit posts only as a last resort.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Thanks for being on the job, Fodors!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM

What happened? What did I miss by working instead of lurking?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:19 AM

If we told you, this thread would get deleted.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Sadly :I just got a post from someone
that was all crazy and very rude over a
simple matter of writting in caps.
Well, I would normally ignored but this
time I wrote a small but very direct
note about my thoughts on it.
This is one of the reasons,I quick using
fodors talk. I got really dissapointed
about some peoples actitude.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Mile: Are you referring to the little discussion with wemr? Are you saying his/her comments should be deleted? I would like to think you are not that thin-skinned. But that brings me back to my point: What one person thinks is being honest and/or frank may be considered rude by another. I would prefer we not let the thinnest skinned of the posters dictate what is acceptible (any more than we would want the rudest or most obscene to set that standard).
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:18 PM
ira

Hi bitter,

I think that the Fodor's staff are quite restrained in their editing.

The threads referred to were deleted only after allovereurope and I had complained.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM

bitter, I believe others complained as well. I don't mind heated discussion on this board, but when one person is targeted and the accusations are personal, as opposed to arguing about ideas, recommendations, itineraries, etc, then I think it's completely out of line and fodors is correct to edit.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:57 PM

IRA and Marilyn: I don't object to what the Editors did today. The guy was not only harassing IRA, but also monopolizing the board for a time with repeated and redundant posts. I'm just saying that had he maybe only posted once or twice, even if of questionable content, I would prefer that the post be left here to be ignored or, perhaps, challenged (rather than be deleted outright).
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Is this the &quot;all crazy and very rude&quot; message you are referring to Mile?

Message: I love Prague as well. But please do not ask a question in cap letters. It's considered rude, lazy, and difficult to read. Just trying to help!!!

If you consider that effort to help make this forum slightly better and easier to read a rude post, then you have a serious problem. But of course, now I'm sure you'll consider this post rude as well. Some posts are RUDE, but when people cannot take politely worded helpful comments (which is what I call the above post) that is another matter entirely.

By the way, the above comment that I quoted was not from me, but I have been called rude when I have made comments regarding how phrases are put -- just the other day for example, politely suggesting that a person not call the suggested restaurants &quot;overpriced&quot; when what he really meant was that he was looking for inexpensive restaurants. I didn't consider my comment meant to be helpful in how posts are done to be rude, but obviously some overly-sensitive soul considered it so.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Bitter, I would have agreed with you completely prior to this recent unpleasantness and another on the US board. But what I have observed is that people find it impossible to ignore the offensive posts, and the more people reply, the more it feeds the craziness, and the uglier it gets.

I got involved in a similar brouhaha because, foolish me, I thought reason would have some effect. It doesn't.

I find fodors allows a lot of leeway in this area, and they seem to wait to see how a situation develops before yanking the threads entirely. Sometimes they will &quot;lock down&quot; the thread so no more posts can be added, which is a good alternative when there is some useful information on it. I don't find them heavy-handed in the censorship department, although occasionally they delete something for no reason I can figure out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -