From Bath to Plymouth

Search

From Bath to Plymouth

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Bath to Plymouth

My husband and I will be driving from Bath to Plymouth next week..(our first time driving in UK) Can anyone suggest intersting towns or stops along the way that we should make? Also is one route better than another? Thanks for any ideas..ellij
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are lots of interesting places along the way but perhaps you'll get more feedback if you can refine your question a bit. Is it a one day trip or a meander? Wells (cathedral town) and Glastonbury are not far out of your way.

The most straight forward and quickest route will be the big M5 to the A38 into Plymouth. I believe that's about 3 hours from Bath without stops and/or traffic congestion. I think the seaside towns of Torbay, Torquay, Paignton and Dartmouth are not too far off the A38. Also Totnes and Buckfastleigh.

You could get off of the M5 at Exeter and drop south to Plymouth through Dartmoor. Lots of good scenary and wonderful villages along that route. (though I wouldn't recommend it if you'll end up driving in the dark. smaller wind-y roads can be stressful at night for first time drivers)

What are your interests?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:33 PM

You won't get much better advice than that from obxgirl without providing more info.

Even if you intend to make the trip in a day, you should have time for a short visit to both Wells and Glastonbury.

Wells is one of my favorite cathedrals in a setting with beautiful grounds and the Bishop's Palace. The scissor arches which were added to prevent the cathedral towers from collapsing are unique.

Glastonbury is famous for the ruined abbey and the relationship to King Arthur. Deborah Crombie wrote an excellent mystery, A Finer End, set in Glastonbury.

Exeter is worth a day in itself. The cathedral has some superlative, sculptured bosses. One depicts the murder of Thomas a' Becket. The quayside has interesting shops and displays. The city is one of the most confusing in which I've ever driven. We ended driving on a Saturday night on the pedestrian street amongst the university students. Received all sorts of encouragement, fortunately none from the police.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM

obxgirl and jsmith have pretty much covered it. If you visit Exeter be sure to have lunch in the Cathedral's cafe. Great homemade food.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:31 AM

janis's point about trying the Exeter (St. Peters) Cathedral for lunch is a very good one. Many cathedrals have excellent refectories with reasonably priced homemade lunches.

The website for Exeter is found at:

http://www.exeterviews.co.uk/

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all...we're just taking one day to get there and we can take our time so I will follow up on your great suggestions and visit a few villages and maybe have lunch at the Exeter Cath. Sounds like a perfect idea! Many thanks again, elli
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:55 AM

But for a really unique experience en route try Diggerland Cullompton(www.diggerland.com).

Gothic cathedrals you can have anywhere. Arthurian legends? Lots of towns claim to be the site of the Round Table. Legends that Christ visited? Ten a penny around the Mediterranean.

But a chance to drive serious construction machinery? Isn't that what you come to England for?