Friends to France 6/29 Ask me for Advice! D-Day, Lyon, Provence, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have their airline tickets, 2 adults, 2 teens - leaving June 29 for two weeks in France. Their plan is to arrive Paris on a Friday, stay near the airport, see some Paris sites, pick up car on Saturday, drive to Normandy, see D-Day beaches, drive to Lyon, Drive to Provence, Drive to Paris, see Paris. OK, so what would YOU tell them to do and how to go about it. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot Nice. (I say Villa Franche).
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM

Tell them they are trying to do too much. And if they have waited this long to find out what to do, they are wasting their money. I'm sorry--I guess I don't have patience and understanding.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

But for starters, they should pick up the car when they arrive and head to Normandy.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM

Ditto Gretchen!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM

Yeah, they've waited way too long to plan and now their plan is exhausting and makes no sense.

They're arriving in Paris on a Friday and staying near the airport and "seeing some Paris sites" and leaving on Saturday? Lovely. What Paris sites do they plan to see in that time.

Where are they picking up their car? Where are they planning to stay in Normandy and how long will they be there?

Why are they driving to Lyon and how long are they planning to stay there and what do they want to do there?

When are they driving to Provence and where in Provence? What do they want to do and see there? How long will they stay there? Why are they driving back to Paris when you can take the TGV in under 3 hours?

Sorry, but I don't have a lot of patience or understanding about this one. It never fails to amaze me when people buy tickets for overseas travel without the slightest semblance of a plan.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Let me see - they have this gawd awful plan and THEN they ask you how to fix it. Right?

They don't have enough time to drive to all those places. How many days are they planning for Paris at the end of the trip? If less than 4 or 5 days, why bother. And if 4-5 days - then they only have 9 days to cover 3/4 of France.

Nuts IMHO . . . .
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM

Rhonda, it sounds like they are asking you to make some sense out of their plans and I think you already know what to tell them .

If they have never been to Paris, remind them that their teenagers will want to check out all the shops, clubs and hangout places in order for this to be their best vacation ever which will take at least 5 nights. Have them stay in the 5th.

Then suggest they pick one or at the most two other destinations outside of Paris and slow their pace.

Good luck, hope these friends don't drive you crazy, Deborah
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM

Villefranche-sur-Mer is a town on the Mediterranean near Nice. Note spelling if you need to Google for information.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:54 AM

Pretty funny actually... That much driving with teenagers in the car and I'd shoot myself.

Reminds me of a post once when someone wanted to visit Paris but wanted to stay in the suburbs - and what did everyone think of her choice of "suburb" - Lyon.

PB
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

OK, you all had the same reaction I did but they have their tickets and are going, so let's think constructively now. Cut down the itinerary for starters.

My first suggestion was to start in Paris. Just spend several days, get over jet lag and see Paris but they seem to think that because they are arriving on a Friday, Paris will be packed for the weekend. I think the traffic towards Honfleur and Normandy might be a headache and even if Paris is packed on the weekend, there will be more activities going on. Could they do Normandy as a day trip from Paris? I have never looked into it.

So picking up the car and driving to Normandy is another idea. You are right, one really can't see much of Paris from a hotel near the airport. They are getting in early on Friday so perhaps the traffic won't be that bad towards Normandy (Dad wants to see Normandy).

I think it might be wise at this point to get a travel agent to help them with reservations. I don't have time (my daughter is getting married June 22) to help them make phone calls or e-mail.

I am going to see her tonight and loan her all my maps and books. After she looks them over this week, perhaps I can help her come up with a more realistic plan.

How about, starting in Paris, day trip to Normandy, train down to say Avignon, pick up car, stay in Isle sur la Sorgue (or ?? suggestions please). See couple of towns and lavender (daughter).

Another idea I have is to arrive, get on a train to Beaune (someone told me there is one direct train a day to either Beaune or Dijon), wake up on Sat. to a market day, drive around the area on Sunday, see vineyards .....
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:19 AM

What is booked? Car, hotels?

First of all, the train system in France is great, so let the trains take you where you want to go as much as possible.

as a note, there are day trips you can book from Paris to Normandy beaches, and a search here will give you much details from people who have taken them.

14 days...say 3 days in Normandy, 4-5 days in the south, and finish in Paris

They could rent a car at CDG on landing and start towards Normandy. If they get too tired stop along way.

Leave car in Normandy and train to Paris (or drive back to CDG), then take TGV to Avignon, rent car there and tour region. I like Lyon, spent 4 days there in 2005. If they chose there, would not need car. Great city, great food, lots to see...but not like Provence. Choose one or the other.

TGV back to Paris, spend 7 days there.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Nothing is book except plane!

Great plan, Michael. Thanks for your input. I like it.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

What would be a good City/village in Normandy to say take the train from Paris to, rent car, see D-Day Beaches?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
DiG

Bayeux is one of the most popular bases. The majority of the organized DDay tours depart from there. Car rental and train station are close to each other.

It's a centrally located charming town with it's own highlights like the Bayeux Tapestry.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM

What MIchael said was the same as I did--rent the car at CDG and head to Normandy. Otherwise you must take the train into Paris and take a train to wherever. You could be in Bayeux by then, which is a good central location to see Normandy.
Now I am beginning to wonder why they asked you to plan this, if you are not able to even recommend Bayeux. Where have you visited?
Don't drive to Provence--again as Michael said.
Leave the car in Bayeux unless they would really like to have a nice memorable trip and drive around Normandy and back to Paris.
Going to Lyon for any reason?
Provence is worth a number of days. Do they HAVE to go to the seaside?
Sometimes it is worthy to begin to work backwards and decide what has to be left out.
Four days in Normandy (barely enough, including travel time), four days in Provence (again, barely to not at all enough time). SO now we are left with 6 days. I think Paris would be a worthy stop for that amount of time.
TGV to Provence, TGV back to Paris, rent a car in Provence. Do all car rentals from the US.
My patience is over for now.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM

If you send me an email ([email protected])I will send you my own two week itinerary of Provence and Paris. I will be in Paris the same week they arrive so info should apply for them as well. I am a ridiculous planner so have lots of notes with much detail.

Normandy is not a day trip. Best as at least three days as it looks like you are discovering. My 14 yr old son and I picked up a car in Paris and drove to Normandy and found the drive very easy and enjoyable. We stayed in Rouen, Honfleur, and Bayeaux before heading back to see Chantilly, Senlis and Ermononville near north of Paris.

We loved Honfleur for just walking around for a day. Neither of us cared much for Rouen...

I don't get their reasoning that Paris will be packed on the weekend. Parisians themselves tend to leave the city on the weekends in the summer so they are more likely to encounter crowds on their drive away from the city for the weekend.

Staying near the airport is a horrible, horrible idea and just illustrates how little they understand the city. It is easily an hour away from everything they might want to see. Talk about a waste of time. I hope they will listen to your advice so they don't make such mistakes.

In Paris with kids they should definitely watch the rollerblading on Friday night if they are in town, and also take a Fat Tire Bike Tour on their very first possible day to get a good idea of the layout of the city. The tour meets under one of the pillars of the Eiffel Tower at 10am. They won't go into any museums, just ride through the whole city. Lots of fun for all ages. Google to find their website.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM

http://www.fattirebiketoursparis.com/

Their kids should be assigned to get on the above website and pick a bike tour- day, night or Versaille...

And they really need to get a move on for a Paris hotel once they decide when they're going to be there. I do like the suggestion of 4 days in Normandy, 4 days in Provence, and the remainder of their time spent in Paris.

Oncey they know their dates in Paris you might want to start plugging them in at www.venere.com (Think orbitz or expedia) to get an idea of what is available. No use getting our input on hotels and then finding out they are all booked.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas. My friend is coming over tonight so will have several constructive suggestions for her.

amwosu, my thoughts exactly on the crowds - probably be more tourists than residents in Paris on the weenend.

Gretchen, this is their first trip to France so of course people start out wanting to see everything.

You all had the same thoughts I did, so I am on the right track telling them to trim down their itinerary, take the train for long distances, rent a car for short ones. I will try to pin her down on exactly what are their priorities. I like to start off with a calendar with space to write and fill in the days so people can visualize their vacation time.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Ronda, picking up a car IN Paris just adds a layer of time and complications. It doesn't make any difference if "Paris will be packed". It is high season--everything will be "packed"--with Parisians or ALL kinds of tourists. Plan the trip and forget about "packed".
They NEED to get an itinerary, get hotel rooms (it's getting a bit close!) and THEN fill in the sightseeing sites.
Why go to Beaune now!! Are they wine enthusiasts--with two teens in tow.
There's nothing wrong with 1-Normandy 2-Provence=3-Paris.
They can even drive to the sea from Provence. Why stay in Ile sur la Sorgues? Are they antique lovers? If they don't plan to be in Provence on the week-end, Ile sur la Sorgue is a moot point. Time/day matters. Avignon, St. Remy, Avignon villeneuve (is that right?), Uzes? All possibilities .
I wonder how they will choose what to see?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -