Search

friends or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
friends or not?

We have friends that live in Venice , Italy and want to take us all around Italy when we visit in September to show us places like Venice, Rome, Florence and Calabria should I take them up on it or try and have a go on our own (it's our first trip) or would that be rude?
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

I would agree to meet them for a portion of the trip - maybe the last few days. Unless you know them extremely well and would like to spend your entire trip with them.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

They have visited the USA years ago. We made all of the arrangements for them to see Ellis Island, South Street Seaport, Empire State , etc. Oh BTW they have 2 small children!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking that I should reschedule our flight home. To fly out of Rome instead of driving with them back up to Venice. We're only staying 8 days (2 to travel)
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM

The places you "made all of the arrangements" for are all in or near NYC.

Rome is 5 hours away from Venice; Calabria is 6 more hours after that.

The answer is: No, you do *not* take them up on the offer.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I agree with nanabee - maybe spend only part of the trip with them, and part on your own. Although, if this is your first time there, it might be good to have them with you the first part of the trip, so you can get eased into Italy with someone with experience.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Having a base with friend who live in Europe is the very best! You don't need them to tour you around. Rather visit them at their home in Venice for a few days, let them show you the real deal, soak it in, then go off on your own for the rest of your trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
ira

Hi N,

Very nice friends.

However, I also suggest visiting them for a few days in Venice (and maybe Florence) and then going on your own.

I would fly into Venice and out of Rome.

Once we had some friends (haven't heard from them since) who thought it would be great to guide us around their home town and vicinity.

It didn't work out for a number of reasons.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM

Hello notyad, having friends in Italy is wonderful but you will want time to yourself also I would think.

Venice which is in the Region of Veneto is beautiful. I would imagine they would enjoy driving you through some of it. Perhaps you could spend a few days with them and than take the train to Florence and on to Rome and fly home from Rome as you were thinking of..a good plan in my opinion.