Reload this Page >

friendliest people in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Kelda

When I do go anywhere I like to feel welcomed so I guess the way the natives are is important to me. In all of my travels to Europe I have found the turkish to be the most friendly, who go out of their way to help. HAve you been to places where you felt the same?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
native

Make sure you take some shiny beads.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
cecille

Kelda- I too found the turkish people to be very friendly and sweet. They are such a hospitable culture. From my travels I would like to add the scots and the bosnians to the friendliest list.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Martha

Switzerland is wonderful.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:49 PM
Andrew

I was recently in France and The Netherlands for a couple of weeks. I spent only five hours in Brussels as a stopover off the train from Paris to Amsterdam. And in that short time, I had three friendly people come up to me and ask me from where I was visiting. No one *ever* did that in France or The Netherlands the rest of the time I was there. So I got the impression from my very short stop there that the people in Belgium (or at least Brussels) are very friendly.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
Danna

The Scots, absolutely the Scots. Whether we were in a bus, waiting for a bus, in a pub or walking down the street we met Scots who actually chatted with us. We live in a tourist town and I know we aren't nearly as friendly. I try to reach out to visitors now due to my visits to Scotland. Oh yeah, did I mention the Scots?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
Nancy

My vote goes to England. Throughout my endless questions all over the country everyone was so helpful and kind. Even got a couple of "cheerio, luv" comments which was perfect. I always look back fondly on the month I spent touring England. Another country where the people were very gracious is Thailand.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Uncle Sam

In a word...THE SCOTS!!!<BR><BR>US

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:27 PM
Barb

The Irish...

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Amy

By far, the Scots and the Irish. I've never had such wonderful people-experiences as I did in either country.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
heidi

The Germans in the South West are wonderful. Especially in the Black Forrest!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Dori

The irish!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Jim

Hands down the British, especially the Scots. Absolutely wonderful people.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Selena

The Italians have always treated me as if I were family. They could not be nicer.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Craig

<BR>Most definitley the Dutch, followed by the Italians.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:05 PM
JB

My vote is for the French!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:26 PM
chris

<BR>Belgians !<BR><BR>Our waitress at the Pancake house in Brugge was so nice. We exchanged email addresses & have continued to converse

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:42 PM
John G

Well, the people of Edinburgh are very friendly and chatty. I was there for Hogmanay 2 years ago and everyone was my best friend, although they were all pissed to the gills.<BR><BR>My mother, who is also a world traveler, swears the Turks are the nicest. She hates the Swiss, although she thinks they are extremely clean.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:45 PM
travelingal

Irish by far. It's so nice to be around people that are really genuinely interrested in what you're saying. Our lives are so busy here in the U.S., there everything is so beautiful and laid back. I'd like to see Turkey one day also.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:13 PM
jean

I have encountered friendly people in every European country that I have traveled to. I must however give credit to the older gentleman in Belgium that ran about a mile down the beach to inform me that he had told me incorrect train information. Oh, and there was the restaurant owner in Italy that ran a few blocks through pouring rain to return the gloves that I had left on the table after a bit too much wine. And last but not least, when I was lost in France I was saved by a gentleman who spoke no English but knew by my perplexed look that I needed help. I hope to someday repay these random acts of kindness to any travelers I may meet in my future travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -