Search

Fribourg Area

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Mike

Fribourg Area

I have been doing my research on the Fribourg area of Switzerland, and it seems like a nice place to see the mountains, and greenery of the alps. I am probably wrong, but I thought that some of you very intelligent people might be able to solidify my findings. Is it really worth visiting? My goal in Switzerland is to see the country, not the cities. I am not interested in them, but rather would like to see small towns and hike in the moutnains. Thank you very much.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Bob Brown

The Fribourg - Neuchatel are is green and laden with farms. The region is justly known for its many agricultural products as well as its high eductional standards. The Jura Mountains are astride the border with France. <BR>Although the Jura range does not present any of the giant peaks of the Berner Oberland or the Pennine Alps which rise south of the Rhone, there is much charm and beauty to be found in that region. <BR>If it is high alpine peaks that you are after, those exceeding 3,000 meters in elevation, you will not find them in that section of Switzerland. But if you want an area of tranquility, beauty, good food, and pleasant surroundings, you are going to the right place.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Mike

I am also planning on running over to the interlaken and berner oberland (sp) area later, as I will be in Europe for 29 days. But for fribourg, I was looking for beauty, tranquility, and I dont mind that the mountains are not as large, like I said, just looking for beauty. Maybe a place where I can sort of lay back, and not have to run around in a city, in and out of museums and shows. Sounds like it's a nice place.If i may ask, has anyone on the board ever been there? Thank you again

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 06:20 PM
kitkat

Fribourg was a little boring for me. Go east for the great scenery

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Don and Linda

Hi Mike, <BR>Yes, we've been to Fribourg and wrote about our visit in our travelogue at http://www.thetravelzine.com/1swisstour2000.htm. Enjoy your trip. <BR>Regards, <BR>Don and Linda <BR>TheTravelzine.com is non-commercial <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Mike

Thanks Don and linda, looking at your site now, thanks for the link! Love the site, lots of info. Take care. Mike