French Words/Phrases

Feb 22nd, 2001, 07:25 PM
Wanda

French Words/Phrases

What French words and/or phrases have you found absolutely necessary to know when in Paris? (English then French word/phrase, please!) Toilet, etc.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 07:44 PM
xxx

From www.travlang.com/languages

Yes = Oui
No = Non
Thank you = Merci
Thank you very much = Merci beaucoup
You're welcome = de rien, je vous en prie
Please = S'il vous plaît
Excuse me = pardon, excusez-moi
Hello = Bonjour
Goodbye = Au revoir, Adieu
So long = à bientôt
Good morning = Bonjour
Good afternoon = Bon après-midi
Good evening = Bonsoir
Good night = Bonne nuit

I do not understand = Je ne comprends pas
How do you say this in [English]? = Comment dit-on ca en [Français]?
Do you speak ... = Parlez-vous ...
English = anglais
French = français

What is your name? = Comment vous appelez-vous? Quel est votre nom?
Nice to meet you. = Enchanté (de faire votre connaissance)
How are you? = Comment allez-vous? Ça va?
Good = bien, bon
Bad = mal, mauvais
So so = Comme ci comme ça

Where is the bathroom? Where is the toilet? = Où sont les toilettes?

Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:31 AM
Alexis

In case you are interested, Fodors has a Phrasebook Dictionary called French for Travelers. I am going to Paris soon and have this book to be invaluable. It is very small, but is packs a wallop. It also gives the phonetic way to pronounce words.

Just trying to help.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 09:05 AM
bridey

Hi
if you go to the Fodor's home page
and click on language, you can hear and learn some basic words and phrases

Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:18 PM
StCirq

Here's a great website for anyone traveling anywhere. It lets you learn basic words and phrases AND you get to hear native speakers pronouncing them. One problem with French is that, if you've never heard it spoken, you'll probably never imitate the sounds just by reading the words. Check it out:

http://www.travlang.com/languages/

Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:48 PM
Vicki

I bought "French for Dummies" as well as some other books and tapes and found the Dummies book to be the most helpful. I had five years of French during high school and college, but needed a refresher - the Dummies book helped me the most.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 03:41 PM
Wanda

Thank you all so much for your help. I looked through the large selection of listening/learning tapes in our local Borders store and was completely overwhelmed! I feel like such a dolt that I didn't check out the Fodor's site, but I have my bookmark set for the forums. I bypass the home page every time. had no idea which to choose. As we are trying to save as much as possible for the trip, I hated to spend money on something that would have been a poor investment. would be the most beneficial and was hoping that you would come through for me - and you did! When I checked out the sites where you could actually hear the words and phrases being spoken, I felt such a relief that I could actually learn to say some of these words with some confidence.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:24 PM
wanda

Well, I must have rattled on for so long that my reply was posted before I could proof and finish it. It is a painfully disjointed reading experience, sorry!

I have used this site to zero in on my hotel accommodations, sights to see and restaurants to try and have also found a lot of insightful information from many people for my first trip to Paris. Merci Beaucoup to you all!