Search

French Trains

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Trains

Hello All-
How and where will I activate my pre-purchased ticket from CDG airport's TGV station? Machine or person?
When the ticket gives the coach number ,is that the position on the train or is it the number of the car itself, which can be in any position on the train.We are getting older and slower of foot and it will be of help to see what we are looking for ahead of time.
Thank You, Humphry
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Usually you scan your TGV tickets on a machine these days. There is an electronic signboard which shows the positioning of the cars of the train in relation to the letter signs on the platform. Once inside the car there are signs to show you where to find your seat number (such as 1-50 lower level, 51-85 upper level).
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This website is fantastic for everything you ever wanted to know about trains -

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/tgv.htm

You mention getting older, one thing I'm becoming more aware of as I age is getting up and down steps from platform to train (or bus), with luggage. Try and travel as lightly as possible. I guess with two of you, one could get on first and the other could hand a suitcase up to the person already on the train. Sometimes there is very little time and you don't want to keep others from getting on with their luggage too. In my limited experience there is little room for large cases, another reason to travel light.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 06:19 AM
J62

Originally Posted by KayF

You mention getting older, one thing I'm becoming more aware of as I age is getting up and down steps from platform to train (or bus), with luggage. Try and travel as lightly as possible. I guess with two of you, one could get on first and the other could hand a suitcase up to the person already on the train. Sometimes there is very little time and you don't want to keep others from getting on with their luggage too. In my limited experience there is little room for large cases, another reason to travel light.
Excellent point about luggage. My rule of thumb is that if I'm taking trains the largest bag I'll bring would fit in an airplane carry-on/overhead bin. If you need more space, then two smaller bags - one with wheels, the other soft sided like a duffel or gym bag will be far easier to manage than one larger suitcase. I've never had a problem putting a carry-on sized bag in even the smallest rack over my head, or if the train isn't crowded by the seat next to me. Except for long distance trains with a limited number of stops I would never consider leaving a bag unattended/close by, even if it was within eyesight. The risk of someone snatching it at a stop out of opportunity while small is not zero....
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Many people leave their large bags on the luggage racks at the end of each carriage. It is actually mostly small bags that get stolen, since that is where people keep their most important and valuable stuff.

The main rule for baggage is that you should never have luggage that you can't lift onto the train yourself.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
Usually you scan your TGV tickets on a machine these days. There is an electronic signboard which shows the positioning of the cars of the train in relation to the letter signs on the platform. Once inside the car there are signs to show you where to find your seat number (such as 1-50 lower level, 51-85 upper level).
Hello Kerouac,

This is the exact information I was asking for. We should have plenty of time to get to the station after customs and your information will streamline our boarding.
thank You, and Happy Trails,
Humphry
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF

Hello Kay F.
Thank you for your ideas. We are experimenting with traveling with only carry-ons and small bags/backpack. We are going through the clothing choices that will fit and still keep us warm. We have four train trips involved so we think we have it down. If things go a little wrong, France makes great wine! And thank you for the link,,,
Thank You,
Humphry

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by humphry
Hello Kay F.
Thank you for your ideas. We are experimenting with traveling with only carry-ons and small bags/backpack. We are going through the clothing choices that will fit and still keep us warm. We have four train trips involved so we think we have it down. If things go a little wrong, France makes great wine! And thank you for the link,,,
Thank You,
Humphry
You probably already sort of 'know' this - but heavy/warm clothing really isn't the best option. Think layers -- for instance a light cashmere sweater over a cotton/silk/poly/whatever blouse or shirt will be warmer then a heavy wool sweater and will be more flexible mixing/matching with other outfits. If almost everything 'goes' with almost everything else you can get a LOT of different outfits out of relatively few garments. Yes, the wine will help
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
France offer a good range of washing machines if you need clean clothes, the days of scrubbing in the bath have long gone