French Sites

Mar 27th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Buzzy

French Sites

I love this forum but I wondered if anyone knows of a forum where I could exchange ideas with French people. I would need a site which has English speaking participants as my French is very basic.

Thanks

Mar 27th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Ursula

Buzzy bonjour! You can try the following site.
www.bparis.com
The have French/English sites and talks. Bonne chance!
Otherwise, try a huge French provider known as www.wandadoo.fr. However, I do not know whether you can express yourself in French.

Mar 27th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Ursula

Buzzy: pls read ... whether you can express yourself in ENGLISH!

Mar 27th, 2001, 04:58 AM
xxx

Or go via www.yahoo.com - - maybe even via http://fr.chat.yahoo.com to <<tchatcher>> (chat) in any of the various "francophone" rooms. You will always get responses if you choose to type in English instead of French. That doesn't mean they won't "talk" behind your back IN French, of course...

Mar 27th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Florence

Bonjour Buzzy,

De quoi voudriez-vous parler ? La majoritÚ des franšais qui parlent anglais viennent discuter sur des sites anglophones comme celui-ci. Sur les sites francophones, ils ne s'exprimeront qu'en franšais.

What would you like to talk about ? Most Frenchpeople who can/want to speak English will write on an English speaking forum like this one. On a French-speaking site, they'll use only French.

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:21 AM
StCirq

Buzzy:

Here's a great site for you. It's run by a French teacher, it's all about the French language, and it's about half in English, half in French. In addition to working on improving your language skills, you can converse with lots of people in France on topics related to culture, history, current affairs, the arts, etc.

http://www.delphi.com/ab-french/start

Mar 27th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Christina

I speak French okay, write it better, and do this a bit on AOL in chat rooms or IMing, mainly. Most often French people IM or write me because they want to "speak" to an American who knows French (I put that in my profile); most are men who IM me, to be honest, but sometimes females, and most are in France, although I've met a couple French expats in US or some French-Canadians. I have one year-long correspondent who is a young male student at Bordeaux university whom I help with his English studies, he's a delightful correspondent; I'm very impressed at his English fluency, he's only about 20 years old and knows English so much better than most Americans know a foreign language at that age (he's not an English major, either, but into computers). They do have message boards on AOL from foreign countries but it is kind of difficult to get to them so I won't go into it as you don't have an AOL address; I used to post on the French classical music interest board. I also used to post on an internet French forum solely dedicated to discussing Camus, believe it or not (only the French would have a complete web site dedicated to a philospher, you gotta love them) although also existentialism and Sartre came up, but the language was at a fairly high level. Well, I know lots of French chat rooms, I get email addresses and passwords sent me by email all the time when I don't even want them to these online sites, but frankly I have never seen one in French with French people who wanted to speak French at a beginner's level, I really don't think you will find that too much. If you are young, though, you may find young French people who want to take to an English speaker and won't be as picky about the language (if u no wut i meen LOL). Online web portals are competing for chat rooms/forums nowadays and those are the main ones I know on the web, these French portals have chat rooms: www.tripod.fr, www.yahoo.fr and www.lycos.fr. I think you must register for a password, but that's it. You should also know that in French they label chat rooms "tchatche" (groan), at least on Yahoo France. One of the most popular chats on Lycos France is the 18-25 age group board.