Notices

French Riviera

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Michele

French Riviera

Can anyone tell me what the best way to get from Paris to the French Riviera is? Some say train, some say plane. Also, please let me know how and where to connect to these from the airport. Thank you.

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:41 AM
colleen

Hi Michele,

We're taking the bullet train from Paris to Nice--it takes 6 hours. I booked it through (God forbid) a travel agent. We'll get to see the countryside on the way--We're flying back to Paris to catch our flight home. I 'm not sure how to get to the train station--if anyone knows, it would be a help.

Colleen

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Deb

michele, I took an overnight train from Paris last year so I didn't spend my entire day traveling. Arrived in Antibes well rested but keep in mind you probably won't be able to check into your hotel that early.

Are you not spending any time in Paris but going directly from the airport to Nice? If that is the case you should check on how much additional it would be to just fly to Nice.

Old May 18th, 2001, 12:28 PM
elvira

Michele: You can take an overnight train to Nice, giving you a whole day in Paris and the Riviera; you can take a day train, see some of the countryside, and enjoy a relaxing ride (nap, write postcards, read, watch the scenery go by like tracer bullets); you can fly from Paris to Nice.

If you are landing in Paris (CDG or Orly), you'd just connect with your outbound flight as you would anywhere.

If you want to take the train, you can take the TGV right from CDG to Nice; from Orly you would have to go to Paris, and then take the train to Nice. If you want a night train, you will have to go into Paris.

Colleen: you're probably going from Gare du Lyon, which is in the 12eme and on a couple of RER and metro lines.

Old May 19th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Alex

Michele:

You didn't say where along the French Rivera you were going. Nice is in the east and convenient to Cannes, Antibes, Cap Ferrat... I haven't been since 1999 (sigh), but for our trip staying first at St. Tropez (the Western part of the Riviera with the wider sandy beaches) we took a TGV to St. Raphael, a short drive away. That train went through Marseille, continuing onto Cannes. It was a national holiday, which could have determined the route.

Still, the journey was long; I recollect 7+ hours, and the scenery was disappointing. Unless there is a huge price difference I'll take a plane from Paris next trip. The scenery along the Riveria is far, far better than anything you'd see from the train.

Also, our travel agent told us you must reserve a seat on the TGV, and to be safe do so well in advance, especially during peak (summer) travel.
Bon Sejourn.

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Capo

Hi Michele, the "best" way depends on what kinds of things you value. Some considerations...

. Cost? Probably the train.
. Traveling time? Plane.
. Views of the countryside? Train.
. Views of the Cote d'Azur from the air? Plane (unless the French have figured out a way to make the TGV really fly! :~)