French Revolution Tour

Nov 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

French Revolution Tour

Does anyone know of a Paris tour that highlights the French Revolution? Perhaps a walking tour or a guide who specializes in the Revolution?
Nov 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM

See http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/

We did the French Revolution walk in September and enjoyed it enormously. We've gone on many of the other walks and all have been excellent, especially Montmartre and Opera Garnier.
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, thanks for your reply. I've looked at this site before, but didn't know if it was a good company. I'm glad your experience was positive.
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hi brockbank, I am a French Revolution devotee, and just got back yesterday from Paris. Unfortunately, I was not there during the time they offered the tour, so can't comment. I did the Marais I and II tours from Paris Walks and they were both very good.

I've also looked for tours and guides related to the period. While I was there I found one book that showed locations of modern buildings with links to the period. The Thirza Valois guides also mention locations as part of here different arrondissements walks.

I can recommend the Marie Antoinette exhibit at the Hotel Soubise (National Archives) located at 60 rue Francs Bourgeois in the Marais. It runs till Jan 8th. They have her last letter (written to her sister) while she awaited here sentence in the Conciergerie, the death sentence, Louis XV1's last testament, etc. Some absolute top FR documents, and not overly long to visit. They also used this building for some scenes from the latest Marie Antoinette movie. I read french, not sure if there is an english guide.

Also, if you go to the Hotel Carnavalet, 23 rue Sevigne, also in the Marais and near the Soubise, they have a very good permanent section devoted to the French Revolution. For example they had the furniture of the royal family from their imprisonement at the Temple prison, Louis XV1's personal items from there (shaving gear, playing cards), Louis XV11's toys, writing pad..., pikes, patriotic items, etc.. A nice display that you could spend an hour at. The Carnavalet is dedicated to the history of Paris, so there are items from pre-roman times up to the early 20th century.

Hope this hepls,

Mike
Nov 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Mike,
Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry I'm so long in responding, but I haven't been online much the last few days with all the Thanksgiving chaos. You gave me some very helpful information! Thanks again.