french railway map

Feb 7th, 2001, 06:44 PM
joy

french railway map

i'm lookingfor a comprehensive map of french railways...those few which i've found don't have the minor stops i need to know about while planning my independent trip around france. any advice or websites?

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Rex

Online map? I've never found one.

In the book, Thomas Cook European Timetable
http://www.thomascookpublishing.com/...48283834152639

or use www.sncf.com (but no map there).

Best wishes,

Rex

Feb 8th, 2001, 09:42 AM
StCirq

Here's one for the TGV routes:

http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/tgv/map.html

And here's one for all Europe that might have comprehensive French information:

http://www.railpass.com/maps/france.htm

Feb 8th, 2001, 10:41 AM
clairobscur

It happens that I searched exactly the same thing two days ago. Unable to find one, I called the SNCF and have been told that not only they don't have any comprehensive map on the net, but that none was available on sale except if I was willing to buy a complete timetable which comes along with such a map.

So, it seems that meanwhile, the only way to go is to make a research on the SNCF or deutschbahn site.

Feb 8th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Christina

I have a map printed from the web of the main TGV routes which is useful but it does not list all the stops (I think its the one StCirq mentioned). There is also another good site for the overall TGV routes on www.beyond.fr/map/france_tgv.html, and that site has superb small maps of the areas in Provence with roads, etc, but not the rail lines, it appears. There are very good maps put out by IGN (Institut Geographique National) in Paris and they have one with all the French SNCF raillines; it is ISBN 2110091216 (IGN map no. 912), and is called "France by Train." There are probably many places you can order or buy this, but one is www.omnimap.com (look in their railway catlog section). Unless you are really spending tons of time there and traveling around a lot, I'd probably use the mail raillines for ideas and then search www.sncf.com or www.eurorail.com (excellent links to rail schedules throughout Europe) for specific routes and stops. I do have an overall map of European rail lines with cities marked (not every city, but definitely more than the main ones) that is greenish plastic-coated and I think I bought it in a Rand McNally store--it is very similar to a city map I have published by Streetwise, so I suspect it may be by them, but it's at home so I can't look. They have a website at www.streetwise.com.

Feb 9th, 2001, 10:33 AM
topper

maps