French language skills?

Mar 20th, 2002, 07:14 AM
don

French language skills?

Any recommendation for books, tapes, etc. that will allow me to learn very basic language skills in a short time.

Mar 20th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Mr. Go

I don't have a specific product recommendation, but I do strongly suggest that you get a tape, CD or CD-ROM (preferably with accompanying book). French pronunciation is very idiosyncratic...you can't just look at a word and know how to say it unless you know what you're doing.

Mar 20th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Ronda

I really like the Pimsleur system. I am not good at memorizing so this worked well for me. Just have to use the lessons for 1/2 hour once or twice per day, each and every day. I have completed French I and am now doing German I.

They are expensive but if you don't want to pay full price and don't mind used, try e-bay.

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Travis

I already speak french, but last year I went to Italy, without knowing a lick of Italian. I picked up and 'Idiot's Guide to Learning Italian on Your Own', and I did quite well. The book teaches you as if your in a class, very easy to use. Hope this helps.

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Tracy

Hi Don -

I really like the total beginner's online course from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/french/lj/index.shtml

It's cool to get the transcript, hear it, and print out the useful stuff for use later . . . HTH!
=)

Mar 20th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Tony

Michel Thomas has a 2 cd and an 8 cd audio course which makes picking up the basics very easy. The 8 cd course is about 10 hours and costs $50. He also has courses on German, Italian and Spanish.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:47 PM
pam

I am doing nicely with the Pimsleur "Quick and Simple French". They are cd's and I listen to them driving to and from work on a daily basis. The pacing on the lessons is excellent and you certainly learn the phrases they teach you. I speak Spanish and it is very difficult for me to "think" in French. I find myself sometimes "combining" French and Spanish words when they ask me to say something. It's pretty funny to me but I keep on trying. I think it's very important to make the effort to speak the language of the country you are visiting. I think they appreciate the effort as well.
It is not expensive to buy the cd's and I believe I bought them on amazon.