French Language Class

Apr 1st, 2002, 04:51 PM
Debi

French Language Class

Has anyone studied with Worldlink Education? I am considering taking a 3 week french language class there this summer and would appreciate any information. I'm also staying at the international student residence in the 15th. I can't find any pictures etc, and it seems well out of town. I can't decide whether to stay there or closer to the city. I will be travelling alone and want to be safe. Any advice will be appreciated!

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:06 PM
L

Hi,

If you stay in that area, it will be cheaper and you can take the metro. I don't know about this school, but personnally, I think that 3 weeks is not enough to learn French. You would have to spend at least 2 months in France. Where are you from? Perhaps Quebec city would be cheaper?

I am French and learned English by living in an English environnement for a year (took me about 2 months to be perfectly bilingual)

Good luck!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Christina

You'll learn a lot in 3 weeks, it's well worth going for that time. I know that area well but don't know any residence in the 15th. That isn't a regular university so I don't know what accommodations they have, so you'll have to state where it is and the address. There is an international student resident affiliated with the Sorbonne (and other students sometimes stay there in summer) but it is NOT in the 15th, so I don't know where you may be. That is in Paris, any arrondisement is in Paris, that by definition part of the city. Areas outside the city aren't called arrondisements. All of the 15th is in Paris. That's a very safe area and low-key. The bottom of the 15th is not perhaps the best for public transportation, that's true, but it's not bad in the northern part around Emile Zola, Charles Michels or Grenelle metro stops. If you have a choice of places to stay, what are they? I can offer my opinion, I guess. I've never heard of that particular school.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:41 PM
Marc David Miller

While becoming fluent will take some time three weeks should give you a good start (I assume that even L learned something after three weeks in order to achieve perfect fluency in two months). I would probably go against educators' advice and get a beginning conversation and grammer book before you go.

Apr 19th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Debi

Thanks for the replies! I found out the school is Institute Parisian and the student residence is in the 20th. Any concerns or advice?

Apr 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
French

Debi:

The 20th is probably OK, a kind of so-so place. The Belleville neighborhood is there, and it's not the most safe in Paris, but it's not the worst, either. You'll enjoy seeing all the famous people in the Père Lachaise cemetery, though! And it's easy to hop on the métro to everywhere else.

And don't let anyone kid you - three weeks is a good amount of time if you're doing an immersion class to learn a whole lot of French, but by the same token, no one ever became "perfectly bilingual" in two months (I notice the person who claimed he/she did was still using the French spelling of environment). Go with moderate expectations and plan to spend more time at some later date if your goal is really to become fluent. And USE your French while there, not just at school but everywhere, on the streets, in the stores and restaurants, etc. People will correct you, and that's how you'll learn.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Christina

That will be interesting! I have heard of that school, Institut Parisien, it has a very good reputation for a private school. It's where I would go if I were going to go to a private school rather than a university in Paris. I haven't stayed in the 20th a lot, but it is an interesting area in some parts, certainly not the touristy part of Paris, so you'll get more realistic daily Parisian life.

Belleville borders the 19th and 20th, its up in the NW corner of the 20th, I guess. Lots of immigrants, artists (students and struggling), popular night spots (for the people who live up there) and lots of ethnic restaurants. The historic center where there are some artist ateliers is between the Couronne and Belleville metros. A popular cafe is Les Folies at 8 rue de Belleville and Le Baratin. Jules and Jim was shot around there near rue Transvall.

However, further down in the 20th is the Menilmontant area which I really like. In fact, I think I might stay around there sometime for a while. It's just colorful and laid back, to me, down to earth. This area is sort of on the way back into the 11th from Pere Lachaise cemetery. Edith Piaf was from around there.

However, both these areas (the 20th arr is quite large) are rather far away from that school in the 15th so if I were you, I would switch to the southern part of the Left Bank if you can for convenience. The 13th-15th arr. are fairly reasonable in cost. They might be somewhat safer, also, but that's a brief impression, I haven't stayed in the 19th-20th, but I have in the 14th-15th. I don't know what you're paying, but there is a student resident in the 14th that would be pretty convenient called FIAP Jean Monet (really I think anyone can stay there) which is around US$30 a day maybe. Here is its URL http://www.fiap.asso.fr/