French itinerary for summer 2003

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Paule

French itinerary for summer 2003

I've already planned my trip for NEXT summer, since I don't have any big trips this year. We'll be celebrating a significant birthday, but we'll be on a moderate budget. I think it's pretty well thought out, but I'd love feedback from others. We've been in France before, so this isn't a first-time trip. I'll be getting frequent flyer miles, so the sooner I can arrange the trip, the better off I am. We can only go in the summer, due to work schedules. We'll probably go in early July, and will be there about 2 & 1/2 weeks.

Arrive Paris - 4 days. (Hotel Muguet)
Train to Dordogne region:
Sarlat - 3 days (staying just outside of Sarlat)
(Explore caves, towns ie, Rogue-Gageac, Domme, Beynac)
Rocamadour - (Domaine de la Rhue) - 3 days
1 day exploring Lot river towns; 1 day going to Gouffre de Padirac & more);
On way to Carcassonne, stop at Albi for a few hours; then,
Carcassonne - 1 night
Leaving Carcassonne, possible stop at Chateau de Peyrepertuse for a few hours.
Ceret - 3 nights
1 day exploring the coastal area around Coulioure and 1 day driving west of Ceret, exploring sights in the hills and valleys between the Tet & Tech rivers.
Drop car in Perpignan, take train to
Barcelona - 4 nights

Total of 18 nights

Thoughts & suggestions much appreciated!
Paule

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
StCirq

Paule:

It sounds just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. If you need/want any details about the Dordogne, feel free to inquire.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Paule

Thanks, St Cirq; always good to hear my trip sounds perfect!

I've already got many suggestions for hotels stashed away; in the fall, I'll be starting to narrow the choices.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:32 PM
John H

Hi, Paule,

Your itinerary sounds great. Six of us did a 16-day trip starting in Paris and ending in Barcelona (with 3 nights each in the Loire Valley and Dordogne, and 2 1 night stops) in 2000 and the pacing and distances worked out well.

Don't know what airline you will use, but I'd try to book FF tix as soon as the airlines allow. Air France (a Delta partner) and Delta work well for going into Paris and out of Barcelona.

John H

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Paule

Just an update:
I've already booked my flights (aadvantage miles/American) for next July: reservations in Paris (Hotel Muguet) and the Domaine de la Rhue for the Lot portion of the trip. I've also booked a charming-looking place in Ceret called La Chataigneraie (anyone hear of it or stay there?). I'm too early for some of the other hotels, which don't yet have their 2003 prices. But I figured that as long as I have my plan, I may as well make my reservations! To 2003!