French Castles - Daytrips from Paris

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
nessa_L

French Castles - Daytrips from Paris

So I'm thinking about staying a few more days in Paris. I already had a week and a half, now I'm thinking about making this 2 full weeks. I have been to Paris once before, but never been around Paris itself. I already decided I want to go to Versailles and Vincennes to visit the castles. I was also thinking about seeing St-Cloud (the actual reason for wanting to go there is that I just finished reading a biography of Marie-Antoine, that was part of my summer goal but I never expected to find it so intense. anyways, St-Cloud is mentioned quite a bit and I got all excited when I saw it on the Monuments Nationaux website. it looks so gorgeous.)
My question is, what are the best castles/cities to visit outside of Paris? I want something different, a bit historical, and not too far from Paris (max 45 mins). The main themes for my upcoming trip is history, art & fashion so you can pretty much guess what my interests are. I have seen on the Fodors pages the city (or village) of Marly-le-Roi. What that be a good choice? Any suggestions are welcome!

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chantilly, and go to Senlis while you're there, Fontainebleau, and the chateau at Auvers-sur-Oise.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM

Josephine's manor house, Chateau de Malmaison, is very close Paris at 13k from the city.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM

Last summer I planned a full week of castle hopping but changed plans as we were invited in the South of France. One Thursday had Malmaison (visited before by me but not my husband), and St-Cloud Domaine whose museum had limited hours, 10-13, 14-18. Another day (Sunday) had St. Germain en Laye in the morning (free) and in Port-Marly Chateau de Monte Cristo.
I figured that mixing standing castles with just the remnants of glorious places would not be too upsetting.
I planned the routes and both days were nicely done by car.

Other choices would be the already mentioned Chantilly, Auvers-sur-Oise, Ecouen, Fontainebleau and one of my favorite Vaux-le-Vicomte.

Is this by car or bus?

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM

Since fashion is one of your interests, let me suggest something in Paris: the Musée de la Mode et du Textile, part of the Louvre complex but in a separate section on the Rue de Rivoli. It's a fine history of fashion, with emphasis on couture but with historic examples as well.

There aren't many actual castles within 45 minutes of Paris. The grand châteaux of the Loire are mostly very large residences rather than fortified castles, although Azay-le-Rideau and Langeais come close.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM
nessa_L

Thank you for the responses!

MilenaM- I will be travelling alone by either train or bus.

I'm thinking about doing St. Germain en Laye and Château de Monte-Cristo on one day, Auvers-sur-Oise, Fontainebleau, and Malmaison.
I may want to add Vaux-le-Vicomte if I can squeeze in anoter day.

Do you think most of these are daytrips or that it wouldn't take up the whole day.

Underhill- The Musée de la Mode et du Textile was already on my itinerary but thank you anyways! And I kind of wish I could manage to take a few days to the Loire. But I think I'd rather go back and spend much more time there to do justice to the region... And chances are, I will be studying in France in just a year or 2. That'll be plenty of time right?

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Compiegne is also a sweet palace or chateau or whatever you want to call it - short train ride from Gare du Nord
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Inside Paris there are quite a few Chateau d'Eaus as well
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Chateau Vaux-le-Vicomte supposedly offers a free shuttle from the Melun train station on weekends. Last time we were able to use it one way.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM

One day would be to go by train to Fontainebleau, take the train back towards Paris, get off in Melun to see Vaux le Vicomte. There is a bus in the summer from Melun train station to Vaux, or take a taxi. Be forewarned that if you visit at night (candlelight visit) it might be hard to return back to the train station. The bus operates in the summer, but it might not be there off season.

Another full day would be to take bus 258 or RER A to Malmaison (stop Rueil-Malmaison), go to the train station and take RER A direction St-Germain en Laye. At this point after seeing 2 castles decide whether you have time to visit Monte Cristo. You would need to take bus 10 going to Marly le Roi. After visiting Monte Cristo return to the train line and take RER A into Paris. (Or stay a bit longer in Malmaison, visit Bois-Preau (if you are a Bonaparte fan), and the church in town, then go to St-germain. This would make for a full day)

Auvers sur Oise seems to be alone in a day unless you find something else to pair it with, or it can be a half-day trip.

This might be useful http://www.transport-idf.com
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I found an old schedule for bus 258 and it continues from Malmaison to St-Germain. You would not have to go to the train station in Malmaison, the bus being closer to the Chateau. The name of the bus stop is 'Chateau'. I remember the church being on the same avenue.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:23 AM
nessa_L

Thank you Milena!
That really helps a lot.

Unfortunately, all my travel information and itineraries are on my laptop which is getting repaired right now. I saved everything on my USB key but forgot to save under a compatible format (I have Office 2007 on my laptop and a very old version on my house desktop). So it seems like I can't finish off my itinerary until I get it back.

One more question though: Are any of the cities or villages where those castles are situated worth a visit? Maybe for a lunch or a dinner or even a stroll into town before coming back to Paris.

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Most châteaux are in spacious grounds (some vast), but a few are fairly near towns: Azay-le-Rideau, Angers, and Saumur. The latter two have nice old sections.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Nessa,

If "a very old version on my house desktop" means office XP/2003, there is a free kit from Microsoft allowing you to manipulate office 2007 documents:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Nessa,

You could have an early bite in Malmaison, or try to find something in St.Germain en Laye. I remember getting a quick bite in Malmaison on the main avenue.

On the second day, Fontainebleau is across the street from the main avenue and there are many restos with terraces where you could eat. On the same day, Vaux has a restaurant in the inner courtyard of the castle and that too would make for a quick bite to eat.

The villages are really not of interest, and you will really not have the time since the castles will take most of the day.

I have not been to Auvers sur Oise and this might be more of a village, someone would have to let us know.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
nessa_L

Thanks Greg! I actually have Office 2000 but they have a converter for it too! I probably could have found that on my own, but never really thought about it. So thanks a lot!

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
nessa_L

I think I might just drop Auvers-sur-Oise...

Maybe do Chantilly instead. I understand there is a lot to see in that area. Any suggestions for what to see there?

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Besides the château (and don't miss the chapel and especially the library) there's a museum, a large park, a landscape garden, and the great stables. More than enough for one day.