Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French authorities close doors on best baguette.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor Stéphane Cazenave, winner of Fête du Pain's "Best Traditional Baguette" award, is being forced by local authorities to shut his business down at least one day a week. He may have to layoff one or two employees, while looking at a loss of 250,000 Euros for the year.

I couldn't imagine tolerating a government that dictates how many days of the week I can work. Thank goodness my favorite bread baker in NYC is open seven days. I love great, fresh bread, and I can't imagine starting a day without a slice.

“The fact that work in our country can be considered a crime, and that an artisan’s passion may be constrained in such a way should alert us to the absurdity of our system,” said former prime minister, François Fillon.

http://www.france24.com/en/20150211-...-one-day-week/
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 04:19 AM

"I couldn't imagine tolerating a government that dictates how many days of the week I can work"

Most of us can't imagine tolerating a government that dictates anything.

In Europe, you see, we have these quaint things called democracies. We elect representatives, and they do what more or less what we tell them.

So when we don't like a law, we don't go into adolescent sulks about "being dictated to". We try to change it.

And no-one but M Cazenave seems to want to change France's laws on opening hours - which he thinks he's able to break. We call that "criminality"

Too subtle for Yanks to get their heads around.

Like a list of America's insane anti-business laws, BTW? Try here: http://www.economist.com/news/leader...tape-unshackle
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

<i><font color=#555555>"And no-one but M Cazenave seems to want to change France's laws on opening hours"</font></i>

That doesn't seem to be anywhere near the truth, but I wouldn't want to be a mediocre bread baker, competing against a Fête du Pain winner, who is working seven days a week because his bread is in demand. Perhaps the problem lies with awards, only one can win.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 04:55 AM

In one state, in which I once lived, on Sunday, you could by cigarettes before noon, but not alcoholic beverages; you could buy a refrigerator, a house, or a computer on Sunday, but not a car. On a Sunday during which it rained, we were required to pay our emergency health care workers sextuple time, including the mechanics and dispatchers who worked indoors and only on weekends. Sorry, that was in New York State, where things are more rational.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 05:22 AM

It's the same in Belgium. Shops must close one day a week. The rule is there to protect small businesses, like the baker's. Large chains can easily stay open 7 days a week, with staff on different shifts. A small family owned business could not compete with that 365 days a year.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 05:29 AM

Until very recently in the Netherlands all shops were closed on a Sunday by law. Most were also shut on a Monday morning.

Now it is up to each town to decided what, if any shops can open on a Sunday, and whether they can open every Sunday or only once a month.

I actually really liked the quiet the resulted. The fact that for one day a week the majority of people didn't have to work, or shop, but could relax. My fresh bread bought on Saturday was still edible on Sunday. I could have chosen to make my own or bought half baked bread to bake in my own oven if I was desperate for really fresh bread.

The baker in the article knew the rules when he started, and chose to flout them. There are better ways of getting the law changed than breaking it.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:02 AM

It took a few months to adjust, but I now like the Sunday closings in France. More difficult to plan around are the 12:00 to 14:00 weekday closings which many businesses, stores and professional offices in this part of France observe.

All our local boulangeries/patisseries are open Sunday mornings until noon or 13:00 but stagger closing days during the week.

I'm not fully up to date on the law but believe it's number of days or hours per week, not a specific day. Most small stores and businesses such as hair dressers, dry cleaners choose Sunday or Sunday and Monday morning.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It's all about money for some people. They cannot imagine just enjoying a quiet day once a week.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

<i><font color=#555555>"It's all about money for some people."</font></i>

IMO, that's an extremely cynical and narrow-minded point of view. If an artist wishes to paint and sell his paintings seven days a week, he/she should be free to do so. If a baker wishes to stay open seven days a week and offer employment opportunity to additional workers, he/she should be free to do so.

I believe the concept is called freedom, which often has nothing to do with money. Unfortunately, most people can't imagine what it would be like to enjoy their work.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 08:18 AM

"Freedom." Do people really think in these platitudenous ways in 2015?

Real life is usually more complicated.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:02 AM

The baker is authorized to bake bread 7 days a week if he wants to. But he can only sell bread 6 days a week. He can give bread away on the 7th day if he is passionate about his trade. Better yet, he could furnish it to the various charities that feed people.

I admit that I do not understand why an artist who sells his paintings is any different in loving money.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:40 AM

They're not closing his doors, they are making him play by the rules. If he were an average baker you wouldn't care. Much ado . . .
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:50 AM

I suspect that it is all about workers rights? (the French - rightly- do consider these!)

"Poor Stéphane Cazenave" might be distraught at his bakery not being able to rack up profit for him every day of the week; however, perhaps the people who work for him might see things differently!
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 11:01 AM

I see on the French news that one of the big hardware chains -- apparently a big box like Home Depot -- is being fined €500,000 for illegal Sunday openings.

An interesting trend.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 12:11 PM

This thread is a striking example of the differences between U.S. and European philosophies.

It begins with "best baguette".

The Americans love contests and rankings and awards. They consider them a way to reduce the world's complexity. They are crazy for superlatives. Where is Europe's "best" beach? What is the "best" cathedral, the "best" attraction, the "best" village, the "best" wine, the "best" beer, the "best" baguette?

For Europeans, there can't be anything "best". Assessments are always based on criteria. And you have always different criteria, and often criteria are contradictory. So you have to weigh your criteria. And now, individual and even situational preferences come into play. One prefers a baguette which is light and soft, the other prefers one that is firm and moist. And even the same person may prefer the former for dinner to soak up sauces and the latter for making a sandwich. You get the idea? - BTW, this difference in thinking is the main difference between Paker and Johnson, when it comes to wine.

Second, this thread tells us differences between U.S. and European business. In the U.S., consumers like NYCfoodSnob love big companies, offering their products seven days a week, 24 hours a day, everywhere in the world, with standardized quality, like McDonald's and Starbucks and Wolfgang Puck. In Europe, we have those little artisans who own their small business, who need a rest one day a week, who have good days and bad days, but who produce unique, personal products made from heart and soul. American tourists seem to love these artisanal products, but once they have discovered them and Rick Steve has written about them, they become industrialized mass-products and the once small business grows, gets larger and is bought by a large corporation.

Third, different conceps of democracy. In Europe, we elect our governments because they are made up from political parties which have programmes. And sometimes, it happens that a majority of voters elects a government consisting of parties which have in their programmes that they protect workers and small businesses. And they pass laws that protect workers and small businesses. And everyone (well, almost everyone, obeys these laws even if one belong to the minority whose party has lost the election).

And this may mean that an American tourist finds his favourite bakery closed on one day per week. Americans like NYCfoodSnob obviously have no understanding for democracies that protect workers and small businesses. In fact, they want that every nation on the planet does everything to satisfy their needs and wishes, especially when travelling abroad. I am afraid, this attitudes causes more serious conflicts than this one about baguettes.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
"Too subtle for Yanks to get their heads around."

Seriously?

"The Americans love contests and rankings and awards."

The ranking of baguette bakers is French.

How is this baker's complaint an indictment of Americans because one American poster says she agrees with him?
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 12:56 PM

What a load of codswallop.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 01:00 PM

traveler 1959, get off your soap box -- the American tourists who might read the 'best' of Paris as to bistros, baguettes, etc., are spending their dollars there sustaining your albeit fragile and tanking economies. My son owns a small business, and has for some years. In the State of California. We get it. I think you Europeans have enough "...serious conflicts" to handle at the moment. This is a travel forum.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Not you, Nikki.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 01:26 PM

So, is there anyone here who believes that the French have incorrect laws about how they believe that business should be conducted in France?

Keep in mind that if you think this is true, you are also agreeing that everybody has an identical right to criticize all of the business laws in your own country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -