Reload this Page >

French & Italian towns, villages

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:58 PM
AG

I am a student planning a trip across Europe this summer. Does anybody have any suggestions for small, out of the way towns in the south of France? I was thinking of Aix-en-Provence, but other suggestions are welcome. <BR> Also, I'm looking for a place to go in Tuscany, near Florence that would be a nice place for nature walking/biking/sightseeing. Once again, suggestions are appreciated. <BR>Thanks a lot.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 07:05 PM
Ellen

I think Provence and the Riviera have some great villages but I believe they crowded in the summer. In Provence, there is Gordes, Rousillon, St. Remy and Le Baux to name a few. For the Riviera, Menton, Vence, St. Paul de Vence, Eze village, Cap St. Jean. All great. You may also be interested in the Cinque Terre region if you like scenery and want to hike. <BR> <BR>I have loads of web sites book marked that are easy to send to you if you e-mail me directly. Also, are you at Yale? I work there! <BR>Ellen

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 07:14 AM
Lynn

One unique place we found while driving from Nice to Monaco was the little village of Eze. There's a chateau which is perched 1200 ft. high above the Mediterranean, and it has been converted to a small hotel and restaurant. You have to walk up several stone steps to get up there, but once your there, the view is absolutely breathtaking. You can have coffee sitting outside. It's a great feeling sitting on the cliff with the blue sea below you. There are also small little shops while you climb up to the hotel. It is quite charming and quaint. I don't know what else there is in Eze since we were so taken with this chateau, we were there a few hours, then went on to Monaco. Don't miss Eze, it's very unique. Have fun!

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Diane

The old town section of Antibes is quaint. Antibes is just west of Nice.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Pierre Le Fur

AG, <BR>Should you decide on another part of France, I would recommend the region of Dordogne near Bordeaux. This region is full of very interesting old history as well as its villages not to mention the superb french gastronomy. My wife and I are planning a two month trip there in September. <BR> Best wishes !

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 09:26 AM
elvira

I, too, am a fan of the Dordogne region. There are MANY quiet, unspoiled villages in the area (many are hard to get to via public transportation), lots of places to walk and bike...more caves, castles, fortified churches and abbeys, and bastides than you can shake a stick at (if that's your idea of a good time). Great wines, excellent food, and lower prices than in other regions make this a great place (fewer tourists, too...mostly French and English families). <BR> <BR>Another overlooked area is the Languedoc; it runs from the Spanish border to Perpignan (thereabouts) and westward. Once again, lower prices (vacation spot for French families), great wines, incredible scenery, fantastic seafood!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 12:53 PM
Anthony

My wife and I are francophiles and visit France each year. <BR> <BR>St. Remy-de-Provence, near Avignon, is a beautiful village. It is within 50 km. of lavender country near Saulte, the Luberon. If you were there in late June/early July you would witness a wonderful scene, a profusion of purple. A good little hotel in St. Remy is L'Amandiere. <BR> <BR>Another nice village, on the Med, near the Spanish border, is Collioure. This is Catalan country where Dufy, Mattisse began their careers. Casa Pairal is a fine hotel, near the sea. <BR> <BR>Aix is a great city--student center-more likely to have the night life you may be seeking. My wife and I, however, love the serenity of the countryside that is why I recommended St. Remy and Collioure. <BR> <BR>Good Luck!