Freighter Travel

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:20 AM
Jeff Davis

Freighter Travel

I am interested in traveling from the USA to Europe on a freighter. Can you help me find a company that provides this kind of service?
Also intereted in traveling to Asia the same way.
Thanks.
Jeff Davis

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:07 AM
John

Dear President Davis,
Two of the larger freighter travel agents are Freighter World Cruises in LA,
http://www.freighterworld.com/ and Maris USA in Connecticut,
http://cruisemaris.com/freighters.html

Freighter travel is a blast, and surprisingly affordable if you have the time. Good luck.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
Shanna

Mr. Davis, I've done a bit of researching on freighter travel and didn't find it particularly inexpensive. Maybe that's a relative thing - because I'm REALLY cheap. I'll look tonight about the websites I accessed. They may be the ones already identified by John.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:22 PM
John

Most freighter passage ends up costing around $100 per person per day or less (lots less on a 100+ day round-the-world trip). That includes accommodation, food, transportation and entertainment (if you count gin rummy and the videos in the officers' lounge and numerous visits to the bridge and engine room - my wife got to drive the ship we were on for a while and had us pointed to Panama instead of California.) Ten days or so crossing the pond on a freighter is more expensive and takes longer than cattle class on Delta, for sure. But it's different.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:01 AM
Shanna

Jeff, apparently I tossed my old material which was showing a crossing to England around $5K. So, went to John's sites - time to rethink this! Also found www.freightercruises.com. Please keep us posted if you do this.