Reload this Page >

Free use of travel guides!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Patrick

I have mentioned this several times on various posts, but the question of which guidebook is best and the comment about how expensive they are comes up so often, thought I'd do a separate post. <BR>Are you all aware that most public libraries have guidebooks that you can browse or borrow for free. Our public library has hundreds of them, and I've been to several others that have huge selections also. Some of them may be a year or two old, but it sure can save you a lot of money browsing through them and taking notes.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:59 AM
thrifty, too

I've used them, but they're often at least 15 years old. A lot has changed since the early-mid 80's.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:01 AM
ginny

I have been using the library for years to get guidebooks for my trips. The info in them changes from year to year and I just couldn't justify buying them. Libraries will even track down the most current issue at another library they are connected with and either put it on hold for you to pick up or transfer to themselves to make it easier.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:06 AM
elaine

The amount of information available <BR>on websites for free is amazing, certainly enough for someone to tell which guidebook they would actually like to own. You can view websites for guidebook series like Fodors, Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, <BR> etc

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Ed

I'm struck by the "penny wise, pound foolish" nature of many travelers who won't spend a few dollars for guidebooks. A $15 investment in a guidebook may make quite a difference in how much you get to enjoy your $2-3,000 investment in your next trip to Europe. While websites can be quite helpful, we'd never travel without reference to a good, current guidebook. (Despite the fact we operate a fairly busy travel website.) <BR> <BR>That said, it's amazing how few people make use of library guidebooks, as well as other books related to travel. Most of us pay taxes to support the libraries ... this is a good way to get our money's worth. <BR> <BR>There are some limitations. Some facts do "date" quickly. Sights and the relative importance of sights don't, so the library is a great place to research what you might want to see, and to select out places that don't sound so hot to you. You can also get an idea of other facts. <BR> <BR>Hotels and restaurants, among other things, do come and go, do go in and out of favor, and prices certainly change. Old guidebooks aren't helpful here. <BR> <BR>At the expense most of us lay out for trips to Europe, it's really smart to take advantage of all the resources available, not just one or two, and not just the free ones. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Patrick

Thrifty, too: I think your town needs a new library! Ours only keeps them up to about 3 years old, replacing them with new ones. I'm still not sure if most are donated or the library actually purchases them. I also failed to mention that our library and I think a lot of others also provides video tapes on various countries -- a great source of inspiration for where you want to visit, although seldom very good for specifics.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:07 AM
elvira

Aaaahh the library...my saving grace since I was five. When posts ask about books to read before a trip, I assume those folks borrow them from the library (I never come home from the library with less than 10 books). Ditto the guidebooks - our library has a 'reference' section which contains the current editions that can only be used in the library, but the stacks have past editions. The old ones have information about the region, the culture, museums, natural wonders, etc. that help in the planning. They also help you choose which one(s) you'll want to buy - when investing $15-25 per book, you'll want to get only the ones that are really useful to you. <BR>Then, of course, are all the wonderful picture books that you can't afford, but you can borrow to inspire you.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Judy

Hello All, I do the library route too! Ours is very handy and pretty current! My Big secret, NOT, I go into Barnes & Noble(they have nice seating available), read and take notes and then put the lovely guidebooks(Sigh) back nicely on the shelf! I also have a latte too! How civilized,,,,Judy ;-) <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 05:41 AM
dan woodlief

Yes, the library is wonderful. I live in a small urban area (150,000 pop. in the city), and the library has books no more than two years old for most locations in the world. For many, it has the latest edition. The library sells off the old copies at the end of the year. I annoy my wife (because I sometimes forget the due dates) by bringing home arm load after arm load just to read or to plan a possible trip. Ed is exactly right. The main sights rarely change. You can use a three year old book for planning ahead, but check the Web or look at Barnes and Noble (for free) to see if hours or costs have changed. Really, hotels and restaurants don't change all that much in a year or two either (I guess Las Vegas would be a major exception). When I get ready to go, I will either take a library book along (making sure it is renewed before leaving) or buy one for my own library. I will confess Judy that I have spent hours before sitting in Barnes and Noble and taking notes. Hasn't everyone?

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 05:53 AM
gloria

Don't forget the Lirary can also find you videos. They will also request them from other libraries. Perfect for getting kids interested in travel.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 11:51 AM
carol

Where would you go but Barnes & Noble (or other large chain)to find the most up-to-date information and guide books? The library is great, but, as others have said, usually the books are not terribly current--wonderful for a general overview, though.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Judy

Dan, was that you peeking at my London books across the table, while I was at B & N? ;-) <BR>Carol, sometimes UBS (used book stores, my fav. place) have relatively recent guidebooks for a fraction of the original cost. FYI, Judy