Search

FREE Museums?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 12:28 PM
Pari-man

FREE Museums?

I will be traveling to Paris soon; I have read ALL the forum advice about getting a museum pass (and plan to); BUT, we will be traveling with two children (ages 10 & 14) whom the guide books say are FREE to most of the places where we are visiting. MY QUESTION IS: Can our children follow us through these "express (passholders) entrance gates," hassle free? Or do we have to go to 'each' ticket counter, like say---to prove their ages/get childrens 'tickets' ??? (Which would kind of 'defeat' my whole purpose for getting passes.) I sure hope there is a 'parental traveler' (God, HOW old I now feel) out there who can help me. <BR> <BR>Also, I just talked to a co-worker lady from France who told me, "...BE careful when shopping! It IS NOT like America! If you pick up something, they expect you to buy it! At the bookstores (etc.) in Paris...you look, you buy!" NO free examinations I guess! Is this still true? (It has been some years since she was "back home" to Paris) What about at the food markets, are you allowed to 'touch' the fruits and vegetables to find the best quality? Is it the same way in Italy, too?

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 03:44 PM
Donna

There will be no admission for your kids at the places included on the pass. At their ages, it's not likely that anyone will request proof of age. At most museums and monuments, the ticket booth is separate from the entrance. There is no "express entrance" for folks with passes. You simply avoid the line to purchase tickets. In shops and department stores, it's best not to handle the merchandise, which the shop keepers will show you if you'd like a closer look. Just the way they like to do things there. Not true that if you do pick something up you are expected to buy it - they're used to Americans. Bookstores are for browsing, just like here. As for the food markets, the vendors spend lots of time and take great pride in the appearance of their displays and touching the merchandise, especially food, is not the done thing. Where else are the boxes of red and black raspberries arranged in a checkboard pattern? If you want something, they will retrieve it from a separate supply and package or bag it for you. No need to worry about receiving the best quality - they will take care of that for you. If you want an avocado, for example, they will ask exactly when you plan to eat it so as to provide one that will be perfectly ripe at that time.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 03:59 PM
Catherine

This said no responses.Fodors I think it's a little fault with your mostly perfect system.I had noticed this yesterday also. How about a free trip to Europe for my trouble ?

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 08:08 PM
Martha B

The French take pride in their beautiful food displays, but also in their wonderful food. The vendors will often feel over the stuff themselves, to make sure you get a good product.

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 09:46 AM
Vincent

As lots of expats do, this lady co-worker of yours has got a slightly old-fashioned vision of the way France currently looks like. No, you can browse as much as you want in bookstores (the French have studied the Barnes & Noble experience, and cafés are blossoming within bookstores now here as well), there is even a commercial for our main bookstore chain, the FNAC, for a young man who is well known by the staff, comes everyday, but, after 5 years, they would be happy if he eventually bought one single book ! As for the food, all previous respondents are right : on street markets, it is not done to touch the fruit or the vegetables ; but you definitely can do it within supermarkets, when there are not attendants. To make a long story short, as a shopper myself on both sides of the Atlantic, I don't see a lot of difference in the way customers are helped.

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 08:41 PM
Dave

Thank you so much for all your help. I had posted (other)questions several times before on this wonderful forum and had zero success/responses. I was beginning to think I was a 'forum geek' or something. [Elaine did help me a couple of times and so to her (also)--salute!] Merci et Au Voir <BR> <BR>P.S. I hope you do get a free trip to Europe...but I would not hold my breath...thanks for thinking about me. <BR>