Free Bus on Paros Greece?

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free Bus on Paros Greece?

Hi, Has anybody experienced the free bus that goes around Parikia, on Paros in Greece?
I'm trying to find out what the route is.
Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Is this something new you've read about? I've been to Paros several times and have never seen a free bus. The local buses do charge a small fee.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM

I am aware that there is a free bus shuttle service provided by the campground, but that's not the same as an island-wide free bus.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM

There is a bus in Paroikia provided by the municipality of Paros, and as per Greek constitution all municipality busses are free of charge.

I did a research on all possible websites of the municipality etc,but haven't discovered a timetable unfortunately.

Maybe the best way to find out the route is to contact directly the municipality of Paros via email, and pray for a reply.... ( [email protected] )

Heimdall who knows Paros perfectly well might tell us more.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM

Good to know about that, Clausar.

You can also contact Michael Shepherd at www.parosparadise.com. He lives on Paros and is very helpful to visitors.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:48 PM

I've never heard of a free municipality bus, either. Here is the KTEL Paros website which shows timetables and routes around the island: http://www.ktelparou.gr/?q=en.

Michael and Karin Shepherd are in Prague now, but still maintain connections with Paros. I will enquire in the Paros Life Facebook Group, and pass on any answer received.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Received one reply re the free bus on my Facebook post so far: "It starts from the port at the regular bus station goes up the municipality, left on the ring road and i believe up to the stadium and back.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 03:57 AM

Many municipalities have busses, in order to offer better service to the residents.
Since residents are paying city taxes, the municipality ( according to the Greek constitution)is not allowed to charge extra for this service, this is why these busses are always free.
In Athens this service started 10 years ago and it's very popular. Marousi for instance has an extended network of city busses that have become so popular, that they are thinking to give to residents some kind of card that will be used to enter the busses, so non residents won't use them.
This happened because the busses ( also due to the crisis) are always crowded.....