Frankfurt to Mainz by train then to Koblenz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to arrive at FRA about 10 AM and want to spend our first day in Mainz to decompress.
1)What is the best direct train service from the airport to Mainz?
2)Has anyone had experience with 60-80 or less Euros for a double roomin Mainz?
3)Any recommendations for taking a cruise to Koblenz from Mainz?
4)Any recommendations for a 60-80 Eros or less double lodging in Koblenz
Thanks for your input
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:29 AM

For train connections, see:
www.bahn.de
For hotels, see:
www.hrs.de
For Rhine cruises, see:
http://www.k-d.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM

The S-Bahn goes from the Frankfort Airport to Mainz. Other regional trains also make the same trip.

I would suggest not taking the boat from Mainz, but rather taking the train to Bingen. In Bingen, get off the train at Bingen Stadt which is the last station before Bingen Hauptbahnhof. Bingen Stadt station is a very short walk to the boat landing.

I mention this because I find the river from Mainz to Bingen pretty boring. However, it could still be a restful time which would allow a little more decompression.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the hotel room. We stay with friends when we are in Mainz.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Mainz is about 25 minutes by train or S-bahn from FRA. Use the regional bahnhof, which is underground across the street from terminal 1. You get to it by using the stairs just inside the street side wall of the great hall of the terminal. The stairs lead under the street to the station. You can buy tickets there at a machine or at a ticket counter. All the trains to Mainz leave from track 3, but some trains on that track go to Wiesbaden so watch the schedule and the sign on the train.

I generally avoid booking agents like HRS because they tend to ignore more reasonably priced hotels.

In Mainz I would recommend Hotel Königshof. It is just across the Bahnhofplatz from the train station. www.hotel-koenigshof-mainz.de. The website has English and you can request a reservation quote. They have reduced rates on the weekends (F-M). At least compare their quote with HRS.

Braubach is across the river near Koblenz. The only Rhein castle never destroyed is on a hill above the town. I would stay there instead of Koblenz, which is a short train or bus ride from there. I would stay at Weinhaus Wieghardt (www.weinhaus-wieghardt). I hade lunch there and liked the looks of it. Wherever you start, take the K-D boat to Braubach and get off there. Wieghardt is in the old town square, a short distance from the dock.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Two other websites:
For the town of Braubach, www.braubach.de.

For the Marksburg castle overlooking Braubach, www.marksburg.de.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JoeE and LarryinColorado. Your detailed and usefull information was extremely helpful!